Lucille Zimmerman's Reviews > The End of Everything

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

Aug 20, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read in August, 2011

Others have done a wonderful job descibing this story and Abott's writing. Very rarely does a book grab me and haunt me so much that I HAVE to read it. Abbott's story and characters pull you in so that you feel right in the middle of the conflict.

Rather than talk about the story, I want to focus on the characters. I read this book through the lens of a Licensed Professional Counselor and I saw a lot of pathology.

The book left me wondering what happened to Evie's mom? Why was she so void of emotion and why so withdrawn?

The dynamic between Dusty and her father felt like emotional incest. She existed for him and he for her. I felt sad that Dusty had to play that part.

The infatuation Lizzie has for Mr. Ferver felt very real. She idealizes him. At the same time he plays an important role by offering her a fatherly kind of love and attention, which is something she lacks. I'm curious to know if others thought the way he showed love and attention to Lizzie crossed a boundary? I think it was right on the brink.

It was intriguing to watch the lens Lizzie placed upon Evie's kidnapping experience. Lizzie's need to idealize everything -- and the trauma that Evie experienced -- was ultimately the end of their closeknit chhildhood bond. At the same time, Lizzie was not able to see Dr. Aiken's good qualities.

This is the sort of book that leaves you haunted to know what happens? Those who seem good were bad. Some of those who seem neutral were good. And some of those who were bad had good attributes. Like real life, there isn't a tidy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Everything.

Jana I thought it was definitely hinted at the the dad is sexually abusing Dusty, and maybe open to abusing Lizzie, which is why I think yes, he crossed a boundary. Also, I think the change to Evie's mom is supposed to also hint at her husband abusing her daughter.