thai 's Reviews > Keeping the Distance

Keeping the Distance by Clarisse David

I’m crazy about fluff young adult books, so it’s no surprise that I would love this one as well, plus thrown in the haters to lovers trope and I’m sold. You’ll find incredible banter, pranks (some gone wrong), detention, and of course, cuteness everywhere.

This story revolves around Melissa Ortiz, the daughter of the principal of a Catholic school. All her life her father has groomed her to be the perfect child, everyone has high expectations of her and what her future holds, but deep down she has a somewhat rebellious side. When one of the most good looking guys in her school and serial dater, Lance Ordonez, suddenly starts showing interest in her, she wants no part in whatever he’s planning.

I loved the protagonist, I related to Melissa a lot, which I didn’t think I would, so that was a nice surprise. Lance was incredible as well, I mean, obviously swoon worthy, and their dynamic was ah-mazing, I could read a whole other book just about them teasing each other and being cute together, I swear.

One thing that made me love this story even more, is that the characters actually feel like a real person, they have depth, and unfortunately that isn’t always the case with books these days. Also, I’d like to point out the fact that the best friends are never sidelined, and that healthy friendships are finally being established as something other than plot-driven or whatever.

This was the first book I’ve ever read by Clarisse David — even though I heard great things about Prom Queen Perfect, and it’s definitely on my to be read list — I did have some little problems with the writing, but it wasn’t necessarily something of a bad writing and more of a issue I had with it. Like how Lance would compliment himself regularly in his head, I understand that some people are that confident or arrogant, but it did bother me a little.

All in all, this was so precious and I enjoyed immensely, I do hope to read more from this author soon.
description
Review also posted at Read. Breathe. Repeat.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping the Distance.

May 19, 2017 – Started Reading