Samantha (WLABB)'s Reviews > Piglettes

Piglettes by Clémentine Beauvais

Jul 02, 2017

bookshelves: arcs, ya, contemporary, diversereads2017, outsideus

This was a rather random pick for me. I was thinking I needed to read more books that take place outside the US, and what better than a book set in France written by a French author. I must say, I am very pleased I chose this book.
"I don't understand why you insist on calling yourselves the Three Little Piglettes," Mum groans. "It's a horrible name."
"We'll make it beautiful, you'll see. Or better, we'll make it powerful."

I have heard people talk about this reclaiming. Taking back something that was meant to hurt you, and turning it into something empowering. That is what Mireille did. When she medaled in the Pig Pageant for the third year in a row, she banded together with the gold and silver medalists to take back the term "piglet" and make it into something powerful. I was all onboard this girl-power trip, and loved the message.

I also really loved Mireille. She was witty, amusing, and a little snarky. She loved poking the bear when it came to her mom, but when it came down to it, she had nothing but love for her. In fact, she just wanted more for her. Mireille had a lot of growth during this story, and I always expect that in a good YA book.

Both Astrid and Hikima added to the fun. The three could not have been more different from each other, but I love that this wonderful friendship came from something so awful. I also thought it was so sweet the way Astrid and Mireille took on the roles of big sister to Hikima. Mireille was not quite as warm and fuzzy as Astrid, but she had a heart of gold underneath it all, and there were many decisions she made which support this.

I kind of loved the way Beauvais tied things up at the end. She gave a little something to all the main players - Mireille, Astrid, Hikima, Kader, Mireille's mother and step-father. I am a sucker for a happy ending and I got that plus a great deal of closure.

Overall: A delightful coming-of-age road trip, which made me laugh and warmed my heart.

**I would like to thank the publisher for the review copy.

BLOG|INSTAGRAM|BLOGLOVIN| FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piglettes.

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Sounds great!

Samantha (WLABB) Marie wrote: "Sounds great!"
I was really surprised by it.

message 3: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Great review, Sam. This book sounds really beautiful. But before I get a chance to read it, I know our readers will want it first. Do you remember the mature content levels in the book? Is there much swearing or many sexual references that might prevent me from handing this book to a reader younger than the publisher's guide of ages 12 and up? Thanks.

Samantha (WLABB) @Madison -- good question. I am so desensitized to that, and it's been a while since I read it, but it is a younger YA, and the bulk of the book is them traveling and is really the interactions between the three girls. I remember some drinking at one stop (a party), and there is one violent confrontation (but mild). One character has a crush on the older brother, but I don't remember anything vulgar.

message 5: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Sam wrote: "@Madison -- good question. I am so desensitized to that, and it's been a while since I read it, but it is a younger YA, and the bulk of the book is them traveling and is really the interactions bet..."

Perfect! Thank you so much.