Celeste's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Jun 16, 2017

It's hard to know what to say about this without spoiling the things that make it so wonderful, but I'll start with the end: When I got to the last word of this book, I cursed and immediately scrambled to get its sequel.

It begins as an intriguing yet deceptively simple urban fantasy about a blue-haired art student in Prague with a mysterious past and the ability to make wishes. That would have made a decent story, but there are so many more layers to this tale, and they are expertly revealed slowly in a somewhat nonlinear fashion (and from multiple perspectives) — a brilliant choice that is so much more effective than if it had been told chronologically or with the shortcut of sudden plot twists.

The writing is gorgeous, even more in the deeper layers — both the words and the world have a magical richness to them that is just delightful to read. The world building is absolutely fantastic and like nothing I have read before.

There is a delicious romance — however, it is also part of what knocks this rating down from 5 stars (I'm gonna say 4.5), as it suffers at times from the urban fantasy trope of the bad boy's sins being too-quickly forgiven on the basis of his overpowering hotness. To the book's credit, it does try to address this to some degree, but it's hard not to keep it in mind and so I wasn't immediately swept up in the romance. But by the fact I just called it delicious, you can probably guess I did give in eventually — it just has to earn it first (confession: I hate that trope but I'm also such a sucker for it).

This is one of those books which is definitely imperfect but whose good parts are SO, SO GOOD that it really outweighs its flaws. I can't wait to jump right into the next one!

May 19, 2017 – Shelved