Char 's Reviews > The Necromancer's House

The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman

bookshelves: audio-book, dark-fiction, from-library

This book is totally INSANE!!

I thought Between Two Fires was crazy, but The Necromancer's House has that one beat. By a mile!

Magic is inherent but also can be taught. There are all kinds of spells that may be weaved. There are all kinds of creatures of myth and folklore. There's a meteor! There's a crazy-ass dog... creation. There is the dead founder of AA having conversations through the television. There's a house, filled with many booby traps and spells, and what dark fiction reader doesn't love that? There's also much, much more.

I can't even begin to explain this book, nor would I want to try. But what I can say is that I love and respect an imagination that can come up with something this maniacal and satisfying! It was entertaining, but also had parts where the pain was visceral. The characters were well drawn even if many of them were just downright nasty. I have to admit that a few of the characters that I disliked at first became my favorites by the end. I love when that happens.

I started with Those Across the River , then read Between Two Fires, and now this one. I'm not sure which of Christopher Buehlman's books I'll read next, but I am definitely going to be reading all of them!

I highly recommend this one to lovers of dark fiction, with some magic and myths woven into the narrative fabric. I guarantee you haven't read anything like it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necromancer's House.

May 19, 2017 – Shelved
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 10, 2017 – Started Reading
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-book
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: dark-fiction
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: from-library
July 12, 2017 –
July 12, 2017 –
20.0% "This book is trippy."
July 13, 2017 –
July 13, 2017 –
July 14, 2017 –
50.0% ""That smile would melt an iron heart. That smile could stop evil itself. It is the sun on toast. It is the sun on Christmas morning with all wars over. It is the smile to give up magic for.""
July 15, 2017 –
July 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Gabrielle "The Lesser Dead" is amazing, but then so are all his books! "Necromancer" and "Between Two Fires" are my favorites so far.

Char I'm not sure which one I'l tackle next. The Lesser Dead or the motorcycle one. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. :)

Gabrielle Char wrote: "I'm not sure which one I'l tackle next. The Lesser Dead or the motorcycle one. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. :)"

The motorcycle one is the only one I haven't read yet, I'm looking forward to it!

message 4: by John (new) - added it

John The motorcycle one is AWESOME! Especially the Audible version! ;)

Char I believe I NEED that version.

J.K. Grice Great review, Char!!! :)

message 7: by Char (last edited Dec 21, 2017 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char J.K. wrote: "Great review, Char!!! :)"

Thanks, J.K.! I'm sort of bummed now that I've read ALL of his books. I'm eagerly awaiting something new.

J.K. Grice HA! Exactly ;)

I still have THE LESSER DEAD at home, and haven't read THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER.

Char The Lesser Dead is my FAVORITE! But I've loved them all. :)

message 10: by Brad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brad Kirk Check out The Library At Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. Bizarre, imaginative, compulsive. Reminds me a bit of Buehlman's books but not a clone at all. I do not recommend the audio version as I didn't like the narrator at all.

message 11: by Char (last edited Dec 10, 2018 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char Brad wrote: "Check out The Library At Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. Bizarre, imaginative, compulsive. Reminds me a bit of Buehlman's books but not a clone at all. I do not recommend the audio version as I didn't..."

So noted! I checked and I own that book already, whoohoo! :)
Thanks for the recommendation.