Dianne Ascroft's Reviews > Patience Becomes A Lady

Patience Becomes A Lady by Olivia Andem

May 19, 2017

Read in April, 2017 , read count: 1

This enchanting story beautifully captures the atmosphere and mores of the Regency era; the reader hears the thoughts and concerns of a gentle lady of the period through Patience’s internal monologues. The author’s skilful use of language suitable to the era enhances the reader’s experience of the period.
Patience Becomes A Lady is a story of an emotionally resilient, determined young woman coming of age in a very regimented society where she has little power. As an orphan, she has many difficulties to cope with but she is not easily cowed. I found Patience a very likeable young woman and I felt her enthusiasm and bubbly personality as I listened to her thoughts. She seemed to step off the page and into the room as I read. Patience, her young cousins and the rest of the cast of characters, are sympathetically drawn by the author and the characters’ motives are made clear so that the reader understands, though probably not condones, the behaviour of even those who act in a less than honourable manner toward the heroine.
I enjoyed this novel and look forward to learning how Patience fares in the sequel, Patience Betrayed. Since I really liked the main character, I want to imagine a rosy life ahead for her but, judging from the title of the second book, Patience Betrayed, perhaps that isn’t to be quite yet. I recommend this first novel to romance and historical fiction readers alike.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patience Becomes A Lady.

05/19 marked as: read