Jessica's Reviews > Night Magic

Night Magic by Jenna Black

bookshelves: partner-read

Night Magic by Jenna Black is the sequel to Nightstruck. We continue the story with Becket in the still quarantined Philadelphia - after she unknowingly unleashed a darkness that transforms the city into a hell-like state. I was so excited to dive back into this creepy horror!

After Becket has become one of the Nighstruck, she is roaming the monstrous streets and having the time of her life. The rest of the city hunkers down and tries to survive the evil that transforms everything at night into a living nightmare. The guilt about her loved ones, that had originally been eating away at her, is completely gone. She has come to terms with having let this terror loose and with the leaving of her guilt, so also seems to lose her conscience. Consumed by the power and freedom of not having a care in the world, Becket continues to fall deeper into the darkness of Night Magic. Her friends and family refuse to give up on her, but will they be able to when she is fighting to keep herself exactly where she is?

I haven't really found a YA horror that was actually creepy or had true horror elements. Usually it's really watered down horror with predictable scares. Nightstruck and Night Magic have a really unique quality to them and how the city transforms is amazing. I loved the parts describing the city at night (both in Nightstruck and Night Magic) and how it transforms. While the scares weren't all that predictable, the movement of the plot was, but I still enjoyed it! I'm curious to see where the story continues and will definitely keep up with the series. If you want a lighter horror story with paranormal elements mixed in, then I would highly recommend this one to you! I was impressed that I liked the sequel just as much as the first book.

I give this 5/5 stars!

Thanks to Tor Books for the copy in exchange for my honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Magic.

May 19, 2017 – Started Reading