C.G. Drews's Reviews > Geekerella

Geekerella by Ashley Poston

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2017, retelling, young-adult

Oh this was super cute! And an excellent reason for me to stop judging covers because this waaaaay exceeded my expectations from that cover. Live and learn, Cait. LIVE AND LEARN. It was so absolutely heartfelt, that I just...I can't even?? It reminded me of Fangirl all squished with Kindred Spirits and Queens of Geek and I loved it. NERDOM APPRECIATION FOR THE WIN.

Now I assume the fandom they were cult following was like a Star Wars spin off? Maybe?? I wouldn't have a clue, not knowing anything about Star Wars except Darth Vadar is someone's father. However, that didn't impede my enjoyment at all. And I think that's something really special about this book: it's just a love letter to fans and geeks of all types. There's no such thing as "fake fans" here. There's no fan hating! (Although it does note the "monster fans" as Darien calls them, who like will kiss-attack an actor on stage which is 5000% inappropriate for sure and pls stop to those sorts of fans.)

I reeeeally loved the Cinderella twist too! The BEST twist was how the "pumpkin" was actually a vegan food truck. Like yes please and thank you?! I'm totally here for how quirky that is. The only downside to the retelling twists though, is that the step-mum and sisters were SUCH caricatures and it was really hard to take that part of the story seriously. I really had no feelings about it? It was just bleh bleh I'm not sure why Elle didn't try to get herself out of the situation.

I looooved Darien so so much though. He was THE CUTEST DORK. And like he's doing this reboot for a SUPER famous cult-followed show and he loves it, but everyone assumes he's a vapid jerk in for the money. And really he's scared and anxious and having 399 identity crises per day. <3 He was so precious. I also love his and Elle's relationship growing via text. Shoutout to internet friends who aren't axe murders. WE LOVE YOU.

I do think their friendship turned to romance a little fast...especially when they only knew each other via text? And hadn't even really talked deeply??? But the book is only like 320 pages. So.

I can't even with myself and how many adorakable nerdy contemporaries I'm reading at the moment. I AM USUALLY ALL FOR DRAGON FIRE. But I'm so so so glad I tried this because it just made me so happy! It was deep and there were complex emotions going on there and Darien is the sweetest. And I loved how it underlined that super important message of: pls stop JUDGING PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW. You can never know the full story when you don't know someone. Be kind. Listen. Learn.

Also be a geek. The geek life is 500% better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geekerella.

May 18, 2017 – Started Reading
May 18, 2017 – Shelved
May 18, 2017 –
page 50
15.63% "Ooooh this is super cute!! Which I'm happy about because I lowkey am avoiding eye contact with this cover."
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: retelling
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Sydney (sydneysshelves) West I KNEW you'd love it!!

Churin I was turned off by that cover too lol (still am actually)

message 3: by Jenny Baker (new)

Jenny Baker Me too! LOL I had a printed ARC of this a few months ago, but the cover turned me off, so I turned it down. Now I wish I had kept it.

message 4: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky Gust What a fantastic review! I have added it to my TBR list :D

Vena Isabella I loooved this book! I squealed when they first started texting each other! Ashley Poston really made the Cinderella storyline her own! Can I have a hunky nerd actor pretty please?? 😍

message 6: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson My friend and I read the blurb of this in a bookshop and gagged at every line - glad to see the inside is nowhere near as twee and awful as the blurb suggests! Hurray! Probably won't go near it myself, as I'm not into romance, but a pleasant surprise is a pleasant surprise regardless.

C.G. Drews @Sydney: YAAAAS.

@Chuurun len: I totally am too. xD I think it's really tacky haha.

@Jenny: It's one where you definitely can't cover judge that's for sure! Eeep.

C.G. Drews @Becky: Excellent life decision. :')

@Vena: I know right?!? It was familiar with the retelling aspects but also unique and I didn't know how it'd end so THAT WAS FUN. :D

@Charley: It's true! Especially if you're not expecting great things but it turns out to be really fun. I mean, it was totally fluffy, but so fun. XD

Samantha (WLABB) I <3 this book

Tandie I've had my eye on this! Excited.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Bought this awhile back because of some rave reviews! Sounds like I need to move it up my to read pile =)

Tandie Please share some of the Adorkable nerdy contemporaries you mentioned! Also, I like it when you reference other books and provide a hyperlink in your reviews. You feed my TBR list, which is like giving a fat kid cake, but I love it!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Tandie: Oh have you heard of When Dimple Met Rishi? It's super cute and nerdy too!

Tandie Ooh, sounds good. It's on my list now!

Vicky Again I'm pretty sure it's more on the Star Trek side than Star Wars, but I loved it! All those cute geeky feels, ugh!

the crow of judgement starfield reminds me a lot of star trek

message 17: by Jaxon (new)

Jaxon I met the author yesterday and I'm pretty sure she said starfield is based off of Star Trek.

Acheron Awesome review!!!