Sheila Goicea's Reviews > Black Dawn

Black Dawn by Mallory McCartney

bookshelves: romance, arc, netgalley, ya-fantasy, color-me-with-this-cover, 2017-completed-reads, fae-fairies, vampires, werewolves, royalty, 2017-releases, 2019-completed-reads, tbr-series-to-complete
Read 3 times. Last read February 17, 2019 to February 20, 2019.

Reread 02/20/2019

description
"Years ago there was a girl with an unusual ability. Her name was Emory Fae."

description
Content Warning: Borderline possession? Violence
I think I may have underrated this book the first time around. While I found it enjoyable before, I found it doubly so this time through! Yes, this book is a little short for my liking. I cannot complain, though, because it is jammed packed full of goodness from start to finish. Especially finish. That's not a proper sentence, but whatever.

Due to this book being shorter, I don't want to say too much for fear of giving anything away. I will say that the characters are well fleshed out and feel real. Not only that, but they each have interesting and weighty roles. Emory Fae, is the main character, but shares the stage with Brokk, Memphis, and Nyx. I can't wait to figure out what happens with these characters (especially Brokk) in Queen to Ashes! If you enjoy strong characters, twisted plots, faeries (known as the Oilean), magic, and fast-paced stories, I'd recommend on checking this series out!

My Rating: ★★★★1/2

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook
----------------------------------------------
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Well this was a nice little find! I say "little," because this is on the shorter end for a fantasy read. I'm used to at least three-hundred pages for a fantasy. But, I enjoyed it all the same!

Naturally with a shorter read, there isn't as much detail in world building and character development. However, the writing style and the way the story advanced made this lack of information work. I will always take more if I can get it, but the information that was given was enough to keep the plot moving forward and engaged me as the reader.

The beginning of the story begins on Earth, where we meet our heroine Emory Reia Fae. A girl who grew up in an orphanage gets a reality check when two men who have haunted her nightmares for years suddenly show up in her house.

She is spirited away to the world on which she was born--Kiero--where she re-learns her past. Not only does she originate from Kiero, she also learns that she is the rightful heir to the throne. But her lineage was overthrown by a vile man known as Adair. Emory joins up with the Black Dawn rebellion to earn back her rightful spot on the thrown, and to overturn the damage Adair has done to their world.

With having a history on Kiero, Emory also discovers that her past holds some dark secrets--some her own doing, but some by other people. With a complicated past, and tumultuous future, Emory must relearn who she is and the power she holds in order to follow the purpose laid out before her.

Black Dawn is an interesting plot written from multiple characters' perspectives, so the reader gets a glimpse of both warring sides and their motives. The end is left wide open, allowing for a sequel to follow. I just heard that there will be a prequel of Black Dawn coming out sometime in July 2018, so be looking out for that!

Overall, this was a great, fast-paced read. I'm looking forward for more in all areas, to get a better picture of this world and what all is happening in it. My favorite aspect of it was that it was very clean!

Vulgarity: None!
Sexual content: Kissing only.
Violence: Some, but not very graphic.

3.5 stars.

A big thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Dawn.

May 18, 2017 – Shelved
October 6, 2017 – Shelved as: werewolves
October 6, 2017 – Shelved as: royalty
October 6, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2017-releases
February 14, 2019 – Shelved (Other ebook Edition)
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: up-next (Other ebook Edition)
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: provided-by-author-p... (Other ebook Edition)
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: tbr-series-to-complete (Other ebook Edition)
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy (Other ebook Edition)
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: up-next
February 17, 2019 – Started Reading
February 18, 2019 –
page 108
February 20, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-completed-reads
February 20, 2019 – Shelved as: tbr-series-to-complete
February 20, 2019 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2019 – Started Reading (Other ebook Edition)
March 2, 2019 –
page 38
15.2% (Other ebook Edition)
March 3, 2019 –
page 82
32.8% (Other ebook Edition)
March 4, 2019 –
page 106
42.4% (Other ebook Edition)
March 5, 2019 –
page 195
78.0% (Other ebook Edition)
March 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-completed-reads (Other ebook Edition)
March 6, 2019 – Shelved as: review-to-come (Other ebook Edition)
March 6, 2019 – Finished Reading (Other ebook Edition)