Laura's Reviews > Precious and Grace

Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith

bookshelves: on-laptop, favorite-authors, crime-thriller-suspense, 2017, owned, 2018, reread, on-dj2, on-ipad2, 2019
Read 3 times. Last read February 24, 2019 to March 8, 2019.

***Third Read***

When I will I stop reading the Mma Ramotswe series by Alexander McCall Smith? Perhaps after the 2020 election? After the White House has been sterilized and fumigated? Maybe. Until then, these books lift my spirits when it all just seems too surreal.

These books are kindness, laughter, decency, integrity, and too many other good words for me to list. And Lisette Lecat truly deserves the equivalent of an Oscar for her audiobook performances straight across the series. She makes AMS's wonderful work just plain stellar. Please listen to this series. It will make you smile, no matter what. Guaranteed.

***Second Read***

I never tire of this series. Alexander McCall Smith wrote them for me. And for you! It is the characters, more than anything else, that make this so special. Getting to know them, and the wonderful culture and beauty that is Botswana, through the sensitive writing of the author, is a real treat, and a cure for what ails you, what ails all of us, what ails the world, even.

Thank you, AMS. May your stories never end!

***First Read***
4.5 stars. These books are medicine, particularly for the sensitive, introspective soul. If what you really want is for everyone to be kind and love one another, and you want to spend time in the company of characters who do just that, without being cardboard cutouts or predictable, read this series.

In this world, we need 1000x more people like author Alexander McCall Smith, Mma Ramotswe, and all of these characters. Very sad to have read all of the books currently published in this series, although I know more are on the way.

I plan to go all the way back to the first book and reread this series for more soul medicine this summer. The audiobooks, which are all narrated by Lisette Lecat, are all six stars. You can't go wrong reading or listening to these books. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I'll close with a quote:

"Yes, she thought, no amount of wishful thinking could obliterate the hard facts of existence. There were those who prospered, and those who did not. There were those for whom life was easy, not a struggle at all, and those to whom daily existence was painful and humiliating. That was the pain of the world, and it was all around us, washing at the shores of whatever refuges we created for ourselves. She thought of Fanwell, a young man who had very little in this life, and of his dog, who had even less. She could turn away and say that they had nothing to do with her, or she could accept that they had somehow touched her skirt. For that was how she viewed it: we all had a skirt, and those who touched our skirt became our concern."

Yes, that's it, exactly. Thank you, AMS, for your good work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Precious and Grace.

May 18, 2017 – Shelved
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: on-laptop
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-authors
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: crime-thriller-suspense
May 22, 2017 – Started Reading
May 22, 2017 –
page 13
5.73% "This series is medicine to the soul. I just love the humor, the characters and the writing, the musing philosophical tone throughout. The story is always interesting but the wisdom and characters are the biggest draw for me."
May 23, 2017 –
page 16
7.05% ""'What was wrong with the past?' There had been the belief that you should listen to other people, should talk to them, rather than spend all your time fiddling with your electronic gadgets; there had been the view that it was a good thing to sit under a tree sometimes and look up at the sky and think about cattle or pumpkins or non-electric things like that. "

<3"
May 24, 2017 –
page 51
22.47% "Another reliably good read from AMS <3"
June 1, 2017 –
page 65
28.63% "She thought of Fanwell, a young man who had very little in this life, and of his dog, who had even less. She could turn away and say that they had nothing to do with her, or she could accept that they had somehow touched her skirt. For that was how she viewed it: we all had a skirt, and those who touched our skirt became our concern."
June 4, 2017 –
page 114
50.22% ""Trust your nose, but make sure it's pointing in the right direction.""
June 8, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
June 8, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 12, 2017 – Shelved as: owned
March 28, 2018 – Started Reading
March 29, 2018 –
page 51
22.47% "Singing to children was one of the traditions that she most wanted preserved. It was what the grandmothers had always done, and it lay, she felt, at the heart of what it was to be brought up in Botswana. It was the blanket, in a sense, in which a child was wrapped – that blanket of love that a nation should provide."
March 30, 2018 –
page 69
March 31, 2018 –
page 88
38.77% "Freedom was not cheap – its price tag was watchfulness and courage. Even fresh air, the air we breathe each day, had its price tag it seemed – one we were only now beginning to understand and was all about not destroying the things that gave us that fresh air - the trees, the greenery."
April 3, 2018 –
page 166
73.13% "" Do you think that our souls grow as we get older?" " Yes, our souls get wider. They grow like the branches of a tree – growing outwards. And more birds come and make their homes in these branches. And sing a bit more. ""
April 5, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
February 24, 2019 – Started Reading
February 26, 2019 – Shelved as: on-dj2
February 26, 2019 – Shelved as: on-ipad2
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
March 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Jane Beautiful review of a beautiful book.

Laura That's so kind of you. Thank you, Jane. <3

Charlie Close Couldn't agree with you more about the audiobooks. Lisette Lecat's readings are outstanding, among my very favorite.

Laura She's amazing. Thanks, Charlie.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Laura, did you see he has a new series coming out? Book one is available in the Giveaways section.

Jane Loved your comment about why you keep reading these books. They are a little escape from current problems and a reminder of a good philosophy of life.

Laura Caroline, yes and I've entered! Thank you.

Jane, they are a great escape. I'm glad you appreciated that comment. I feel like people must think I'm crazy, but I didn't start habitually rereading these books until after 11/9/16 (which was much worse than 9/11/01), and they help me cope. They keep me grounded. Much like our bluebird family. You need to be grounded when everything seems to be detached and crazy.