Kathleen's Reviews > Mocha and Murder

Mocha and Murder by Tonya Kappes

bookshelves: read-2017

“Mocha and Murder” earns 5/5 Exotic Ayam Cemani Eggs!

The Bean Hive has become the ideal place for locals and tourists alike to enjoy the best treats with locally sourced ingredients and high quality coffees and teas with a marvelous view of Lake Honey Springs. Owner Roxy Bloom heads out to the farmers’ market with Pepper, her friendly adopted Schnauzer, to enjoy some quiet time with Patrick Cane, and pick up some locally grown apples for her popular desserts. But, quiet time is interrupted when Louise Carlton starts arguing with local farmer Fred Hill. Louise may very well regret her very public disagreement, when she is found, bloody knife in hand, over the dead body of none other than Fred Hill. Roxy’s skill set for investigating murders has been proven, and despite warnings to stand down, Roxy knows in a small town the best place to start an investigation is with local gossip. She inadvertently learns about an exotic chicken, valuable eggs, property disputes, and undisclosed money troubles. But a murder investigation is nothing compared to learning that her mom is planning to take up residence. Penny Bloom was never a fan of Honey Springs, or Aunt Maxie for that matter, and was vocally upset when Roxy chose to give up being a lawyer, so Roxy is definitely stressed by the prospect of having Mom so close by.

Once again I am in seventh heaven enjoying the southern community and characters that Tonya Kappes is so talented in creating. “Mocha and Murder” is the second book in the Killer Coffee series with which fans, like me, are thrilled, but newbies need not shy away. There is plenty of back story to make new fans out of them. However, due to a ‘spoiler’ reference, I highly recommend reading the first book, “Scene of the Grind,” to make your experience complete.

This new story is brilliant including a contemporary issues many may have experienced—I knew the IRS calls and threats I received were a scam, but it was very scary, nonetheless, and engaging to see how it played out in the book. With several twists and a great “Oh my!” ending that put Roxy in jeopardy, amateur Sherlocks are given the opportunity to solve the murder mystery on their own. Me? I had a couple of possibilities and one long shot, and the long shot came in. The characters are well developed and entertaining, but also sharing venerability with family revelations and hatchets buried. My favorite is Roxy, who is strong-willed, but not obstinate, and loyal to friends and family that seems to be putting her in harm’s way. The setting of Honey Springs, Kentucky, and the issues with being a new full-time resident and running a popular coffeehouse play delightfully in the background along with exploring the relationship of reunited lovers and a mother/daughter dynamic. Additionally, we can always count on some easy-to-follow recipes straight from The Bean Hive: Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies, Apple Crisp Cookies (The Bean Hive favorite), Watermelon Pup-sicles (Pepper’s favorite warm day treat!), and Southern Light Pound Cake. From fans we get Vegan Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting and Twinkie Cake. You’ve got the book and the treats…now invite the friends!

"Disclosure: A review copy of this book was sent to me by the author. All of the above opinions are my own.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mocha and Murder.

May 18, 2017 – Shelved