Johanna Markson's Reviews > The Distant Marvels

The Distant Marvels by Chantel Acevedo

The Distant Marvels, Chantel Acevedo
Beautifully written and totally irresistible. The perfect historic fiction - focused on a portion of history I know nothing about and doing it with wonderful, strong women at the forefront of the story.
Cuba has just had a communist revolution but on a remote part of the island an old woman is watching a storm approach and doesn't want to heed the warnings and leave her home to go somewhere safer. She is ready to die. But, as the storm gets closer, the woman is forced to evacuate and is put on a bus with a group of other women and driven to an old governor's mansion where they must wait out the storm. The women huddle and begin to tell stories about their lives and here the women listeners, and we readers, are honored to be told the story of Maria Sirena and her childhood during the third war of independence from Spain 80 odd years earlier. We learn about her parents, Lulu and Agustin, and about Maria Sirena's birth on a small ship as her parents return to Cuba from a trip to America. We hear about the aftermath of the trip, where Lulu and Agustin become prisoners of the Spanish, her father in jail and she and her mother tied to a rooming house and the Spanish captain of the ship. We read about the strength of Lulu to survive as the father continues to fight for Cuba's freedom. After he escapes from jail he brings his young family into the jungle to continue the war. As Maria Serina grows up in this chaotic time, she also falls in love and must struggle to survive and keep her loved ones alive. And what of her own children?
This is an adventure story, a love story and an epic family tale that is spellbinding and wondrous

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Marvels.

Finished Reading