Jenny (Jen & Mel's Book Nook) 's Reviews > Hover

Hover by Melissa  West

bookshelves: 2017-reads, e-books

I feel like Hover wasn't quite as good as Gravity, the first book in this series, but only by a little bit. I still read this book pretty quickly and while I was interested enough to keep reading, I also wasn’t left feeling completely satisfied. I felt like I wanted a little bit more from this book, though I don’t exactly know what that was.

It also felt to me like there wasn’t actually a whole lot of plot happening. There was lots of new information learned and quite a lot of planning and strategising without actually seeing any results. (view spoiler)

Another thing that bothered me was that this book took place entirely on Loge aside from a few minor communications with Earth. That meant we didn't get to find out how things were on Earth and I wanted to know what was happening there as well as what was happening on Loge.

What I did really like was the character growth we saw in Ari in this book. She had so many challenges to overcome and she was almost an entirely different character by the end of the book.

What I wasn't such a fan of was Jackson for most of this book. He didn’t seem to have changed at all and was the same secretive jerk from the first book. (view spoiler)

I thought the romance was handled very well in this book. It seemed to be a long time coming, but I loved that it wasn't rushed and it didn't happen until the characters were emotionally ready.

I did not like that plot twist at the end however. (view spoiler)

Overall though, it was a pretty good read and a decent enough sequel to the first book. Despite it being a little lacking in plot, it still felt like a pretty fast paced read. I’m really not a fan of cliff hanger endings, but at least I have the third book to go onto immediately after.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hover.

May 18, 2017 – Started Reading
May 18, 2017 – Shelved
May 18, 2017 –
0.0% "Can't wait to get into this one after the way Gravity ended!"
May 18, 2017 –
23.0% "It's so annoying how the need to sleep constantly interrupts my reading! Especially when it's a good book!"
May 19, 2017 –
83.0% "I'm definitely looking forward to finishing this one tomorrow and seeing how things play out."
May 20, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads