C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Singing Bones

The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan

bookshelves: 4-star, graphic-novel, read-2017, retelling

I thought this was going to be more of a storybook...but it's definitely focused on art. And you know what? That's awesome. Pictures are great. Petition to have more books full of pictures and photos because I aM A CHILD and need visuals.

It's set out like this: one page has a snippet of a fairy tale, and the next has a weirdly dark photo to go with it. The photos are kind of creepy?!? Which is 5000% awesome. (Although some of them were a bit dull, but most I liked!) Some of the artistic representations of the Grimm tales were just the besssst. I really loved the one for The White Snake (story #8) and The Twelve Huntsman (story #58).
description

Also it introduced me to so many Grimm tales I didn't know?!?? I LOVE THAT.

NOTABLE TALES:
• There's this one story about a dude who's eating and he turns into a donkey from the food. But he keeps eating because what's done is done, folks. And food should nto be wasted. #relatable
• Then there's this epic one where a princess gets jilted so she disguises herself and her women as an army and goes to work for her ex-fiance and he thinks they're the best of ever.
• Also there's one where a woman turns her kids into soup....
• OH. And there's a snippet out of one that says "Snow White, Rose Red, would you beat your suitor dead?" And IDK mate, that just seems sensibly relatable.

Grimm stories are SO dark and twisted and I love them. I just wish the whole tales had been in the book not just a snippet.

"Oh Mother, please stop weeping. Otherwise, I won't be able to get to sleep in my coffin. M little shroud is all wet from the tears you've been shedding on it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Singing Bones.

May 18, 2017 – Started Reading
May 18, 2017 – Shelved
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: graphic-novel
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: retelling
May 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia This sounds intriguing!

message 2: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson Oooh. Do want.

C.G. Drews @Lydia: I think you'd like this one!!

@Charley: Yes, yes you do want. ;D

message 4: by Ashtyn (new)

Ashtyn YES! I used this book for a project I did at university. We had to pick a "traditional" tale and find retellings/interpretations of it. I did Snow White and Rose Red and that line and picture were so chilling but also weirdly wonderful?! I don't know, i love this book haha

C.G. Drews @Ashtyn: "Chillingly but weirdly wonderful" is the PERFECT description!!