Kris's Reviews > A Court of Wings and Ruin

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

May 27, 2017

bookshelves: owned, new-adult, fantasy, read-2017, 4-star

OMG OMG OMG I FEEL LIKE a shell of a person. I'm exhausted. RTC. Star rating will be subject to change for the next couple days because I am an indecisive fool. 😉

Review update 5/31/17:

OKAY. So, I will mark major spoilers, but if you would prefer to be an unspoilered human, just don't read this. I'm going to talk A BIT ABOUT PLOT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I was super worried about reading this. I had high expectations following ACOMAF, like many of us did, and I was not COMPLETELY disappointed. Series wrap-ups are hard for me. I know this isn't technically the end of the stories in this world, but it's the end of Rhys and Feyre's story soooooo...yes. Struggles.

Okay, so the first chunk when we're hanging out with *fracken* Tamlin, I actually enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would! I figured since I have a vendetta against him, I would just be annoyed and angry the whole time. Either that, or I would be like Feyre's personal cheer leader, egging her on. While I was sneering at all the things Feyre did, I wanted more. I don't know, I just wanted a higher level of tension?? MORE UNDERMINING PLEASE. THANK YOU.

Since Feyre and Rhys aren't full of sexual/romantic tension anymore, IT'S JUST LESS FUN. I'm sorry, okay?? But nothing beats when your ship is in the process of getting together. iT JUST DOESN'T. There's a lack of anticipation and stuff, you know?? This isn't a knock on the book though, this is just me.

I looooved seeing Nesta though. Holy mother, for the love of plums, I was cracking up at her snarky-ness for the most part! I loved the banter between her and Cassian as well.

I did like that we got to see way more of Azriel in a more relaxed position. When he was teaching Feyre and making jokes at her expense, I was like, AZRIEL OMG YOU'RE FUNNY??? TELL ME MORE PLS. I want to know so much more about him. Give me more Azriel, please.

I'm kind of frustrated with the amount of Lucien we received. I looooved Lucien from the beginning and was sad that I didn't see much of him in the 2nd book, understandably so though. I also understand a lot of the reason that he wasn't, like, a MAJOR MAJOR character in this one. But, I'm kind of confused as to why he was written in to be so absent?? (view spoiler)

OH and I'm not the biggest fan of Lucien and Elain as a thing. Honestly, (view spoiler) Also, we didn't get much development between Lucien and Elain too.

The ending felt just a smidge too convenient for my tastes. Look, I don't want my faves to die, but it felt slightly anticlimactic. I think the last chunk of the book could have benefitted immensely from having multiple POVs. I wanted to see more of the epic-ness!!

I don't even know how to sum this up!! I really liked it still because I love the characters in this book, but I wanted more of a tied-up-nicely-word-present wrap-up. BAH.

Also, some of the rep was a bit off, from what I can glean. I totally understand where people are coming from when they say that. Me enjoying this book is DEFINITELY not me supporting how certain sexualities and things were portrayed. I can't accurately comment on them because I have not experienced them, but people have been quite divided on it. Some people see the rep as good and relatable, some see it as not. I'm glad that SJM is trying with it though, I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Wings and Ruin.

May 17, 2017 – Started Reading
May 17, 2017 – Shelved
May 17, 2017 – Shelved as: owned
May 22, 2017 –
page 157
May 24, 2017 –
page 347
49.64% "I! am! extremely! anxious! Tarquin!!!!!!!! Is! nice!"
May 26, 2017 –
page 446
63.81% "well that wasn't extremely tense. or awkward. NOPE NOT AT ALL."
May 27, 2017 –
page 567
81.12% "THIS BOOK IS NOT GOOD FOR MY BLOOD PRESSURE"
May 27, 2017 – Finished Reading