Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)'s Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

5 Stars

Overview:

“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”

You know that moment when you’re reading and you come across a line so good you have to put the book down for a second? And sort of go:

description

That was me about every chapter.

How is it possible Bardugo’s writing improved this much? I just finished the Grisha trilogy, and didn't care for it. This takes place in the exact same world, but it’s expanded upon so much

For a series called “The Grisha Trilogy” the Grisha were startlingly underutilized. (Probs cause most of the focus was on Alina being distraught) Here, there’s much more diversity in their powers and the culture, and their powers aren't wasted.

This plot is tightly wound and executed brilliantly. From the first chapter, Bardugo slyly builds expectations only to completely unwind them. There were several times I thought I understood a character dynamic or plot point, only for it to be thrust into a new light with the revelation of new information. And this somehow never felt forced.

THE. CHARACTERS.

Just bear with me here, because I have no idea how to talk about how much I loved all these characters. The third-person POV works perfectly. It matches the plot pace step-for-step while still featuring some of the most dynamic characters I’ve ever read.

Nina
“It's not natural for women to fight."
"It's not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand.”

-Probably my favorite if we are being honest
- She’s incredibly powerful, but still feels so human She’s confident in her skills because she is good at what she does, but she acknowledges her weakness and still gets overwhelmed sometimes.
- Her relationship with sleep is relatable AF
- She’s not fearless, but she is brave.
- Considers toffee an essential

Matthais
“They fear you as I once feared you," he said. "As you once feared me. We are all someone's monster.”

-I really didn’t want to love him, but I did…
- As a druskelle, he has some beliefs that are really ingrained. Raised and trained all his life to hunt Grisha, that shit runs deep. I loved slowly seeing his thought process and his struggles with this. It made for fascinating conflict
- Speaking of conflict… he and Nina were like 80% angst and I am here for this.
- “My ghost won’t associate with your ghost.”
- He can try to hide it, but he fit in this crew very well.

Kaz
“There was no part of him that was not broken, that had not healed wrong, and there was no part of him that was not stronger for having been broken.”

-One of the most hyped characters ever, tbh.
- Soooo morally-gray, and it’s sooo great.
- Seriously, it’s been a long time since I read a YA character who does the things this guy does-- let alone does them without flinching.
- His backstory is fascinating and appropriate, adding a whole new depth to the character
- There’s really something enjoyable reading about a character so competent with the ability to be vicious.
-“He needed to thank her for his new hat.” I. SHIP. IT.

Inej
Inej had once offered to teach him how to fall. "The trick is not getting knocked down," he'd told her with a laugh.
"No, Kaz," she'd said, "the trick is in getting back up.”

- The group’s favorite, and they are less-than-subtle about it.
- Her backstory broke my heart a bit, as well as her revelation it cultivates into. (I 200% want her to achieve all her hopes and dreams)
- Bardugo brilliantly interlaces Inej’s struggles and emotions, with the use of food-based-adjectives being applied to her physicality. The way Inej bristles at terms such as “caramel” or “creamy” was an incredibly powerful motif and subversion of an antiquated trope.
- The master of her own fate.

Wylan
“Always hit where the mark isn't looking"
"Who's Mark?" asked Wylan.”

- My baby. My son.
- He’s precious and eager.
- But he’s also inventive, surprisingly cunning and smart.
- The role he plays in the ending wasn’t so much a twist as a brilliant conclusion. (But still took me completely by surprise)
- “Just girls?” I. SHIP. IT.

Jesper
“Take good care of my babies,” Jesper said as he handed them over to Dirix. “If I see a single scratch or nick on those, I’ll spell forgive me on your chest in bullet holes.”

- My other baby
- His sense of humor is hilarious, and his dialogue super witty.
- There’s a lot more depth to his character than I first suspected, and it was interesting seeing it play out.
- He feels real. His struggles humanize him and I think he’s more self-conscious than he’d admit.
- I’m so used to world-weary protagonists, it’s great seeing a character embrace the adrenaline rush that comes with fighting.

Cons:

The one thing that bothered me is something numerous others have already highlighted-- these characters feel much older than they are. Kaz especially has a such a striking reputation, and has done so many things, it doesn’t seem possible he’s only 18.

In Conclusion:

I’m kind of intimidated to head into the sequel, as I’ve heard really mixed reviews. But I loved this too much not to see how the story ends. Fantastic characters interlaced with a well-executed plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

May 17, 2017 – Shelved
May 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 8, 2017 – Started Reading
July 9, 2017 –
page 35
7.58% "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya girl 'bout to jump on that hype train because this is epic so far.

Bardugo's writing has improved so much since her first series???"
July 10, 2017 –
page 70
15.15% "Somehow I managed to avoid spoilers for this book for the entirety of the two years it's been out. Until the day after I start it 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃"
July 13, 2017 –
page 84
18.18% ""One minute he made her blush and the next he made her want to commit murder."

I ship it."
July 18, 2017 –
page 125
27.06% "It's official. I love everyone."
July 20, 2017 –
page 200
43.29% "I'm no longer on the hype-train... I am DRIVING that sucker YESSSS 😍😵"
July 20, 2017 –
page 229
49.57% ""It's not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand."

Just when I didn't think I could possibly love Nina any more"
July 22, 2017 –
page 258
55.84% "Nina and Matthias are going to be the death of me, tbh"
page 362
78.35% ""Just girls?"
He restrained a grin. "No, not just girls."

I didn't realize this was a ship and OH MY GOD. 😍😵😍"
page 380
82.25% "OH MY GOD WHAT"
page 400
86.58% "I'm such a nervous wreck right now. SO close to the end and SO many things are happening"
page 410
88.74% "The "he needed to thank her for his new hat" has me all types of fucked up right now."
July 23, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-female-characters
July 23, 2017 – Shelved as: memorable-male-characters
July 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 14, 2017 – Shelved as: deserves-the-hype
March 4, 2018 – Shelved as: couples-i-love

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

maram ☂︎ AAAAHHHH I LOVE THIS DUOLOGY SO MUCH! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 😭

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Thank you, love! I'm SO EXCITED AHHH

Elora Mitchell *Sovereign of not finishing books I start* Yay. I'm so excited for you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i just want you to know that our friendship is at stake if you hate this

because I am 6oC and 6oC is me

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Elora: Thank you! :) You've said such great things about it, I'm all hyped!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Solo: omg these stakes are too high. You've jinxed it. Why would you do this. 😂

Elora Mitchell *Sovereign of not finishing books I start* So psyched for you. *sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for updates, crossing fingers that you LOVE it*

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 I used to love this book when it first came out. Unfortunately, can't say the same now, the hype has ruined it for me. It's an okayish read, not the best or worst.

Feel free to text me while you read =D

lucie enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Elora wrote: "So psyched for you. *sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for updates, crossing fingers that you LOVE it*"

Hahah, I'm only one chapter in, but I feel like I'm going to be updating a lot! :D

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Kainat wrote: "I used to love this book when it first came out. Unfortunately, can't say the same now, the hype has ruined it for me. It's an okayish read, not the best or worst.

Feel free to text me while you ..."

Uhoh. :P Sorry the buzz wore off for you! I probably will, because I can tell I'm going to have a lot of thoughts about this one lol

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) lucie wrote: "enjoy enjoy enjoy!"

Thank you, lucie! :D

Frankie Lovely um ... read faster and then you can read my fanfics lolol

Ginger I hope you enjoy both of the books. I loved them so much!!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) @Frankie I'M TRYING
Real life is hitting me hard with work and family drama BUT I JUST WANNA READ

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) @Ginger
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them! :D

Navneet Sharma This book is the reason I dived into the fantasy world of novels.
I would definitely like to read your take on this book.

message 18: by Frankie Lovely (last edited Jul 19, 2017 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Frankie Lovely well .. anything less than a 5 star rating is grounds for voided friendship ... no pressure or anything

Hope life gets less stressful and let's you enjoy :( Sorry girl

message 19: by Nuha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nuha Zabreen Im at chapter 6 .... waiting for your updates and thoughts 💭 girl !!!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Navneet: I am glad this inspired you to read more fantasy! That's a genre I am really just now starting to dig into and enjoying it. Hopefully I will finish this soon and be able to share my thoughts coherently! :D

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) @Frankie: You're like the third person to tell me that. I'd be worried if I wasn't already loving it. 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 Thank you, love!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) @Nuha: I hope you are enjoying it! I'm somewhere in part two right now, enjoying it more with each chapter. Hopefully I will get a chance to read and update more tomorrow!

Anika And somehow Crooked Kingdom is just as good. If not better. Leigh is queen👑👑

message 24: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss Glad you enjoyed this one, Kaylin! It's quite an excellent book.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Anika: glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm kinda hesitant to jump right in, but the ending of this one has me really interested in where the plot goes!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Courtney: thank you! I wasn't anticipating enjoying it so much, but I'm so glad I gave it a shot! :)

message 27: by ✶Rachelle✶ (last edited Jul 23, 2017 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✶Rachelle✶ So glad you liked this Kaylin! Now if Kaz and Co. could come and whoop some ass in Mytica that would be awesome

Elora Mitchell *Sovereign of not finishing books I start* Yay! Now off to the sequel???

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

YES. Our friendship has survived.

Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜 Glad you enjoyed it :) Haha what you said reminds me of me when I first finished this. I was shocked at how amazing it actually was. I'm awful for not believing the hype.

message 31: by Ginger (last edited Jul 24, 2017 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger Awesome! I'm glad you liked this. Our friendship is still intact. ;)

Sabrina Ye I'm really glad you love this book!!!! > <

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Rachelle wrote: "So glad you liked this Kaylin! Now if Kaz and Co. could come and whoop some ass in Mytica that would be awesome"

PLZ That would be the best. I need that crossover-fic now! XD

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Elora wrote: "Yay! Now off to the sequel???"

Just ordered it!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Solomon wrote: "YES. Our friendship has survived."

I give it a week.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Shanny wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it :) Haha what you said reminds me of me when I first finished this. I was shocked at how amazing it actually was. I'm awful for not believing the hype."

Theres SO MUCH! I'm so impressed.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Ginger wrote: "Awesome! I'm glad you liked this. Our friendship is still intact. ;)"

Yay! :) Glad it persevered :P

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sabrina wrote: "I'm really glad you love this book!!!! > <"

Thank you, Sabrina! I am too! :DD

message 39: by Nik (new) - added it

Nik Great review! I'm very, very excited to read this myself

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Thank you, Nik! I hope you enjoy it!