Gina Denny's Reviews > The Duke of Bannerman Prep

The Duke of Bannerman Prep by Katie A. Nelson

bookshelves: contemp, ya

I loved this, I really did, even though I didn't really expect to.

I have only the vaguest memory of The Great Gatsby. My 11th grade English teacher literally read the book out loud to us every day and if you wanna kill a 16yo's interest in literature, you should definitely read out loud to them so they fall asleep on their desk.

Anyway. I remember eyes and the metaphor of the doors or something? I remember thinking Daisy was a fool and that's about it.

This retelling stands on its own. I love contemp YA in which the teens are good at stuff. In this book, they're competitive debaters, though I would love musicians and athletes and all kinds of EFFORT. I'm so very over the "Well I'm just an average wallflower teen who is only kinda pretty but everything always works out perfectly for me" story. (I know - a lot of people love it. Good for you. It's not my thing.) This was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed it immensely.

Just the right amount of twisty, just the right amount of "Oh please don't make that decision...oh. It's done. You made the terrible decision." *throws hands in air*

I think this was delightful and fun and the perfect read for an airplane ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke of Bannerman Prep.

May 17, 2017 – Started Reading