Jillian's Reviews > Karma

Karma by Cathy Ostlere

A bright pink cover kept catching my eye whenever I'd be in the library at work, and eventually I went over, picked it up, and discovered Karma.

Even as an English Ed major, I've never had a strong love for reading poetry for a variety of reasons (with some exceptions), so I've typically avoided books written in verse. I think I automatically assume that I'm going to have to decipher a bunch of figurative language and other stuff I don't really need to mess with in the same manner when reading a novel. But, I flipped through the book and it seemed to merely have the structure of poetry and not much beyond that, so I gave it a shot, and I'm so glad that I did.

The characters were beautiful, round, real; the emotions raw, believable, and touching. The settings were described simply, and yet they stood out in my head vividly.

I learned quite a bit about a culture I did not (and honestly still don't) know a lot about, and I was fascinated by these characters and their lives. It is a love story, but at the same time, it's so much more than that. It's a glimpse into normal lives disrupted by civil unrest and the clashing of cultures that aren't really all that different when you truly look at them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karma.

Started Reading