Poly Styrene's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

Aug 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, hollywood, gay-and-lesbian, eating-disorders, mental-illness, identity-psychology
Read on August 19, 2011

It was as good as any book about an eating disorder can be. I always forget that anorexics are horribly self obsessed and by the end of the third chapter or so begin losing all sympathy for them and wish they would pull their heads out of their arses already. Whereas books about obsessive- compulsive disorder like Emily Cola's "Just Checking" or "Rewind, Replay, Repeat" by Jeff Bell are both horrifying and enlightening (and in Cola's case, humorous), books like "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacker or "Prozac Nation" by Elizabeth Wurtzel come across as whiny, tiresome and ultimately a waste of the reader's time. Unfortunately, de Rossi's book reads like a million other books about anorexia and depression. I don't know, maybe I should expect that every book I read about eating disorders is going to lack insight, humor or originality simply because the subject is a humorless, tired one that seems to befall females I have very little in common with. With that in mind, I think Unbearable Lightness is a good though familiar autobiographical account of one beautiful, talented woman's struggle with anorexia.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.

04/08/2016 marked as: read