Lora's Reviews > The Borrower

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

Aug 19, 2011

bookshelves: not-kid-books
Read from November 04 to 13, 2011

I rarely read adult fiction books, partly because my job just doesn't allow time for it. But I'm so glad I read this one. I loved that the main character was a librarian (even if she did hate her job) and that a huge part of the story was a road trip (you can never go wrong with road trips!).

Lucy, our librarian in the story, somehow mistakenly (or not) kidnaps one of her frequent patrons, a ten year old boy Ian. Ian loves books and reading, but has parents that really restrict what he can read (no magic, etc) and they've started to send him to a special religious class to "kick the gay out of him", because they think he might be a homosexual. Lucy sees all of this from the sidelines and when she comes into the library on a Monday morning and sees that Ian has runaway to the library and spent the night there she quickly kidnaps him (well, it was Ian's idea) and the two of the them set out on adventure.

Lucy believes she is saving Ian from a horrible home life. And Ian just needs a break and wants an adventure (like he reads about in all the books). As the story unravels we see that Lucy really has no idea what she's doing, but now she's in too deep and can't just return Ian without suffering major consequences. A bunch of secondary characters shine in the novel including Lucy's Russian immigrant father that probably has Russian Mafia ties in Chicago.

This is just a fun read. Anyone that loves children's books, road trips, and small precocious children as main characters will really enjoy reading this book. This is Makkai's first novel and I really look forward to what she produces next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Borrower.