Kyle's Reviews > The Lessons

The Lessons by Naomi Alderman

it was ok

Actual rating: 2.5

Well, the writing was a plus. It ebbed and flowed with moments of great prose, but it did, too, have entire sections that droned on and on and bore me away from the page. I thought at once I would enjoy this story because it is so likened to The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It does, I would say, hold a certain resemblance to the general plot of Tartt's novel: young, posh twenty-somethings at a prestigious school who fall into an exclusive familial clique; isolating themselves against the world. But it quickly devolved into something else. Something less fascinating than the depths Tartt plumbed. It became so goddamn boring and... ordinary!

This is mainly by fault of the characters themselves. They held no interest to me, and were all completely lacking any fascinating or endearing aspects. Our narrator, James, is so uniquely pathetic, bland, and whiny throughout, that I wished an early end to the book itself, if only to save me from further pitiful actions in James' part.

Mark, too, I absolutely loathed.

Again, the saving grace is it had its moments. The writing was very nice, and I guess the end (view spoiler) kept it from being a complete disaster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lessons.

May 16, 2017 – Shelved