Dan Schwent's Reviews > Two Lost Boys

Two Lost Boys by L.F.  Robertson

bookshelves: 2017, 2017-books

When Andy Hardy's appeal comes up, Janet Moodie catches the case. Andy is on death row for raping and murdering two women with his brother, Emory. Can Janet get Andy's sentence reduced to life? And what hold does the Hardy boys' mother have over them?

Recently, the people at Titan hit me up to read Forever and a Death. I said I would and added that I'd take anything else they wanted to send my way. This showed up not too long after and I'm glad I'm kind of a book mooch.

Two Lost Boys is a legal thriller but it's also an exploration into family secrets and how people become who they are. As Janet mines Andy's past, she unearths more and more dark secrets Ma Hardy would prefer to keep hidden. I saw some of the twists coming but I was still pleasantly surprised in places.

Janet Moodie is far from the usual thriller heroine. She's middle aged and a widow, living with her dog after her husband's suicide years before. She's not Wonder Woman but she gets things done. I liked her right away.

Since the case hinges on Andy being mentally disabled and not deserving of the death penalty, lots and lots of dirty laundry gets aired. Andy seems less like a criminal than an unwitting dupe and the worst person in the Hardy family sure isn't him. After the thirty percent mark, the book had its fangs buried in my brain stem and I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Even though legal thrillers are normally as welcome as a fart in an elevator on my bookshelf, I really enjoyed this one. Four out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Lost Boys.

May 16, 2017 – Shelved
May 24, 2017 –
May 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
May 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
May 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith I'm not into legal thrillers much either but this sounds great from your review!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Miriam wrote: "I'm not into legal thrillers much either but this sounds great from your review!"

I initially regretted taking on a legal thriller but it wound up being pretty good.

message 3: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Barrett I'm not one for legal thrillers either but the subject matter sounds like something that would sink its fangs into me as it did you. I'll have to give it a shot.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Wayne wrote: "I'm not one for legal thrillers either but the subject matter sounds like something that would sink its fangs into me as it did you. I'll have to give it a shot."

I think I liked it because very little actually happened in a court room.

message 5: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Flynn It certainly kept my attention. Full of twists & turns.