Flannery's Reviews > Forgotten

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

liked it
bookshelves: kcls, read-in-2011, young-adult-teen, reviewed-2011

You had me, Cat Patrick. You had me for a significant portion of this novel. Then you totally lost me. You did, however, inspire me to read up on short-term memory loss. For those of you wondering what the heck that has to with anything, this book’s main character is a teenage girl who “resets” every morning around 4am. Each night, she writes notes for herself of things she needs to read for school, what she should wear tomorrow, and any developments with family and friends. The entire book keeps the reader wondering what the impetus for the memory loss was and whether London Lane (yes) will be able to regain some of her lost memories.

London’s mother and best friend know of her memory situation but there is no mention of anyone else knowing—do her peers her teachers know? I feel it is unbelievable if they don’t. There is no way that someone can write notes for their entire life and keep them detailed enough to pass as their normal self in everyday life. Right? Think of all the details. Updating herself on every day of her life every single morning? I’m skeptical. Another point that creeped me out a bit was London’s relationship with Luke. If every day is the first day you are meeting someone, it is beyond creepy that you would ever sleep with him. Or love him. Sure, I can see London trusting herself in her notes but she really had no reason to because she repeatedly wrote what she wanted next-day London to know, not what actually happened or what she needed to know. Neither Luke nor London are having a normal relationship here and I didn’t find myself rooting for either of them.

The mystery element of this book builds slowly and then just punches you in the face at the end. In a bad way. I know I would’ve enjoyed this book more if the unraveling was simpler. (view spoiler) And I know that television shows exaggerate the amount of evidence that DNA and bodies can confirm but (view spoiler) Umm, yeah.

All in all, I still thought this book was an okay read. The problems I had were all plot and character related rather than dealing with the writing style. I’ll read more that this author writes.

2.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten.

August 19, 2011 – Started Reading
August 19, 2011 – Shelved
August 19, 2011 –
page 130
42.76% "I'm finding this really interesting but I'm a bit worried that something I don't want to happen will happen, story-wise."
August 20, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by Catie (new)

Catie Poor Numair is crying fat tears down his ridiculously attractive, beaky nose.

Flannery Hahahaha, this is overdue at the library. I'll get there...

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi hmm informative this is in my TBR I'll let it reside there awhile.

Flannery I really wanted to like it but there were so many unbelievable aspects that hindered my enjoyment. I hope you didn't click my spoilers if you intend to read it:-/

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi too late already did couldn't help it. How do you like Flat Out Love?

Flannery I'm loving it so far but I listened to Looking for Alibrandi for most of the day so I didn't get much further today. I'll read the rest tomorrow, though. She's so funny and I like all the random intellectual factoids and references.

message 7: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa It sounds a lot like that movie with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler.

Flannery 50 First Dates? I purposely didn't watch that because I can't stand Drew Barrymore. Is it any good?

message 9: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Mh...I suppose it was ok, a light, summer movie. It was a bit unbelievable too though, she kept on losing her memory because of car accident. But then again, I don't really like Drew Barrymore either. I don't understand what's wrong with her mouth.

Flannery I don't believe any of her emotions. Maybe it is the way she speaks? Everything seems fake and giggly.

message 11: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa She is giggly. Her facial expression hasn't changed much since she played E.T. in 1982.

message 12: by Reynje (last edited Aug 23, 2011 11:15PM) (new)

Reynje Must. Not. Click. Spoilers....

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan This sounds somewhat similar to Before I Go to Sleep ~ which is about a woman who wakes up everyday forgetting everything. It's not the bestest book evah, but it was a decent mystery.

Brooke Oh that's disappointing Flann! I had high hopes for this one :o/ I bought it though so I'll still read it most likely, just lower down my priorities list ;o)

Flannery You might still really enjoy it. Just suspend reality a bit and go with the flow. Maybe I'm just being a Debbie Downer about it. (and woman, get back to RPO!)

message 16: by Janina (last edited Aug 24, 2011 01:43AM) (new)

Janina I think I'll finally move this off my list. The topic really interests me, but it just doesn't sound like something I would like from the reviews I've read. I'd probably just be nit-picking about all the details ... ;)

But I read a really interesting article about this kind of "memory-loss" only recently (some German magazine, so I can't provide a link). It was about a man whose brain was damaged due to a badly treated meningitis, and he loses his memory every few minutes!! He remembers a lot of stuff from way back, but he doesn't even remember his kids!
He also wrote down notes (to get to the point ;)) and often he would cross out the stuff he had written only minutes before, writing that it was obviously wrong because he could not remember anything about it ... It was a really sad article, thinking about his wife and family :(.

message 17: by H (new) - added it

H I don't think you're being one. There's something off about Forgotten, you're like the fourth GR friend who's no so taken with the book.

LOL. It could've been perfect though, with the character's resetting memory and all and how it could play out.

message 18: by Flannery (last edited Aug 24, 2011 01:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery That is really sad. That was one of my biggest problems with London as a character. If you're already at a disadvantage trying to keep up the charade of tricking everyone into thinking there is nothing wrong, why would you intentionally lie to yourself several times? (by omitting details from prior days in your notes about your actions) There was just a lot of willful ignorance going on from all of the characters. (view spoiler)

I agree with you H.I. that the premise could go so far. I just had too many issues with this one.

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Great review Flannery! I enjoyed but only because I was in the mood for something light. I think it is the kind of book that doesn't really make an impact on you emotionally.

message 20: by Lora (new)

Lora Great review, Flann:) I picked this up at my lib awhile back and flipped through it, read the ending, and decided it wasn't worth my time.

I don't think that a subject like short-term memory loss works well in books; it seems to cause too many holes in the plot like you mentioned in your review.

P.S. I'm going to comment on your review of The Raging Quiet, so look for that. :)

message 21: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana It sounds that it's better to rewatch "Memento" than read this.

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin Ugh, you are very right that sleeping with a boyfriend you don't even remember is grossness itself. Unclean, unclean. I think memory loss plots are almost always unrealistic, especially when the character is keeping it a secret. So I'll pass.

Emily May London really annoyed me. Did you not think it was such a silly immature thing to do to (view spoiler)?

message 24: by Cory (new) - added it

Cory Tatiana wrote: "It sounds that it's better to rewatch "Memento" than read this."

Doesn't it? Even if I got over a name like London Lane.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Please tell me her amnesia has some magical basis because there is no way that a person's memory can reset every day using science alone. As much as I love Memento (and I really do), that sort of amnesia is extremely unrealistic.

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pond Now I'm just singing, "do you suffer from long term memory loss?...I don't remember."

message 27: by Flannery (last edited Aug 27, 2011 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery I have no idea why I never got notification of these comments.

@Tatiana--yes:)

@Erin--I know, right? It isn't romantic if it is basically a one-night stand with someone you just met this morning.

@Emily May--YES. I didn't sympathize with her because she was immature. You can't just (view spoiler) and then pretend like you never did it. She was so frustrating.

@Cory--I made sure to put that name in the review because it is totally a somewhat cheesified name that likely would only occur in books and movies.

@Lisa--HA! No way. It was like Groundhog Day in that it was at the same time every morning. It just frustrated me because it didn't seem like those around her were trying to help her get over this at all. But suddenly, for seemingly no reason except triggered memories from her new boyfriend, she starts piecing together what happened the day it all started WHEN SHE WAS SIX.

@VP--You're always singing something or other. I bet you're singing your favorite song (Beatles Happy Birthday) right now. Bahaha.

message 28: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Flannery wrote: "If every day is the first day you are meeting someone, it is beyond creepy that you would ever sleep with [them]."

Riiiiiight.

Flannery If you are in high school and you have NO MEMORY, it is creepy. I'm sticking to my guns on that one.

message 30: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Catie wrote: "Poor Numair is crying fat tears down his ridiculously attractive, beaky nose."

Is this for Tamora Pierce??? Yes! Yay!!

message 31: by Catie (new)

Catie Yes...I think that she's on #3 of that series, or will be soon!

I was just trying to get her to read them sooner :)

Numair is a great motivation...

message 32: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I have to agree with you. I think my favorite is when he's clutching the stuffed animal at Pirate's Swoop.

Jenna Does any one know what high-school London goes to? Thanks!