Sally Wessely's Reviews > The Journal Keeper: A Memoir

The Journal Keeper by Phyllis Theroux

Aug 19, 2011

bookshelves: journal, writing, memoir
Read in August, 2011

I was led to this book by several women who are blogging buddies. Since one had quoted parts of the book on her blog, I was interested and intrigued by what I read. When another sent me a personal email and suggested I would really enjoy reading it, I knew it was the next book I needed to read.

This was one of those books that I hated to finish. I wanted to keep reading Phyllis Theroux's journal. The wisdom and insight about life that shared in this book practically leaped off the page as I read through her journal.

I am a journal reader and a journal keeper. This book ranks above most of the journals of others that I have read perhaps because she is so open and honest in what she shares, yet in her sharing she does not judge or condemn others. She is more introspective about herself and what she learns in her interaction from others.

I loved her small town and the people in it. I loved her writing groups. I wanted to be a part of both.

I learned much about journaling from her. I am inspired to keep journaling and to keep writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journal Keeper.

10/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Clif (new)

Clif Smith That is a fine recommendation, so I'll put it on my "to read" list. I, too, enjoy journal writings and this one sounds terrific. Thanks.

Sally Wessely I think you will find it interesting. How are you doing these days?

message 3: by Clif (new)

Clif Smith Good. Just enjoying NOT starting back to school!