Ian Wingrove's Reviews > Blood on the Tongue

Blood on the Tongue by Stephen Booth

If you love soaking up the atmosphere, the people and the countryside, then this is a great book - especially if that countryside is the peak district. If you love a bit of local history and character, then this is a really good book. If you love a slowly paced detective story that walks you through the complexities of apparently unrelated events and weaves them all together - then you will have a good journey in the hands of a wonderful writer. You get a real sense of the victims, their lives and motivations - even though you never meet them. There are cliff-hanging moments and deceptions. There are unexpected twists. People who you kind of like, turn out not very nice, but that just adds depth to it all. The characters are all 3D and all of them belong to the life amongst the frozen peaks.

If you don't like digressions and want a more direct storyline, then this book might be less rewarding. I wasn't turning the pages because I was hooked on a fast paced mystery. I was turning the page because I enjoyed the writing and the vibe. However, I will admit to the occasional frustration when the action had heated up and suddenly we were wandering off into some irrelevant observation. In those moments I wanted to shout at the editor to step in and cut stuff, but apart from that, it was a book I enjoyed as I relaxed into it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood on the Tongue.

May 15, 2017 – Shelved