Helen's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, thriller, crime

I hated both of the main characters. Nick is just awful, he wants to always look like 'the good guy' and he cares nothing about the people he's supposed to love, concerning himself only with how they make him feel.

We learn about Amy through her diary entries. Starting just as she meets Nick we see the relationship from her point of view, and it's completely different to the relationship Nick describes.

Amy starts to get better towards the end, and by better I mean more interesting. I actually kind of admire her. Nick just gets more and more pathetic. I actually wanted him to go to jail, whether he killed his wife or not.

I don't mind that the characters aren't nice though, sometimes that makes a story more interesting and it works so well in Gone Girl. I liked the way the lies that both Nick and Amy have told are picked apart and the truth about the relationship and the events on their anniversary are slowly revealed.

As for the story, it's ok, it's nothing special but it's interesting and twisty. The first half is full of tension and I devoured it, but the second half was a bit of a letdown. It ends well though if a bit far fetched.

The strength of the writing and storytelling save this book. Gillian Flynn creates such interesting and complex characters and her stories have layers and layers to them. I recommend any of her books for your next thriller read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

May 15, 2017 – Started Reading
May 15, 2017 – Shelved
May 15, 2017 –
page 44
May 16, 2017 –
page 116
May 16, 2017 –
page 172
40.76% "I don't like Nick or Amy very much, but this is compelling reading."
May 17, 2017 –
page 378
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: thriller
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: crime
May 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky) I just couldn't believe the ending. Too ridiculous.

Helen Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky) wrote: "I just couldn't believe the ending. Too ridiculous."
It is! I liked how dark and twisted it is, but it just veers off into being daft.