Peter Curd's Reviews > Servant of the Shard

Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore

M 50x66
May 21, 2017

Recommended for: Fantasy Fans

I stopped reading the Drizzt books somewhere around this title - but I couldn't remember where. I did not remember all that was described in the blurb so I dived in - it rapidly became clear I had read it before, but decided to stick with it to give me a reminder.

The story does not focus on the "Fellowship of th...", sorry, the "Companions of the Hall" but rather on two of the villains - Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle (view spoiler) - from earlier books in the series. They still play villains, of sorts, in an honour-amongst-thieves sort of way which never quite convinces you to like them but does at least let you sympathise with their problems in life. Many of the supporting characters are compelling - unusual for the series - and the world is richer because of it. There are fewer fights, and more politics, than I expected in an R. A. Salvatore story with a plot that required following (some, at any rate). It's not really a good place to jump into the story of Drizzt but I think I remembered enough of the previous stories that I didn't suffer because of it.

This book also acts as a backdoor pilot for the Sellswords series (the remainder being written several years later) so I intend to dive down that rabbit hole for a little while before coming back to the Drizzt series. Entreri has always been a favourite of mine and I'm interested to see how Salvatore turns him into a "hero" - although undoubtedly, as an anti-hero.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Servant of the Shard.

May 13, 2017 – Started Reading