Henry Avila's Reviews > Kidnapped

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Read 2 times. Last read April 1, 2018 to April 8, 2018.

You are seventeen Mr. David Balfour, alone in the world of 1751, in troubled Scotland, a futile bloody revolt was crushed a few years ago, by England, the parents are no more, father never spoke about his family, or the distant past , the poor, quiet introvert, a widowed school master, of the lowlands, has left his good, loving son a...

Mysterious letter, (both of them had deep secrets) for you. Go from your birthplace , a small village, the only one you know, and take the message to a lawyer Mr. Rankeillor, in the frightening, huge, cosmopolitan city of Edinburgh; by foot you must travel, a two day walk. Meeting strangers good or bad on the roads...who can tell? Should you turn back, it would be so easy; or follow your late father's wishes and risk the unknown dangers. But first he arrives at the home of his Uncle Ebenezer, a person he never knew existed, that name alone for most people would give them a clue about this gentleman's character. His father's brother is a great miser, so cheap he lives like a pauper in his big mansion, uncompleted, the reason, obviously he can't spend any money, will not light a fire but in one fireplace, eats porridge and drinks a little beer the cheapest he can find. Paranoid in the extreme, his sick mind hates anybody that threatens him even if it is not true. After an unsuccessful plot to eliminate his naive nephew in the dark tower, a better one bears fruit. A sea captain named Elias Hoseason, agrees to kidnap the boy, for a nice fee, and sell him in the colonies of the Carolinas in America , they need slaves for the cotton plantations...However, plans are plans and you can not tell what the future brings, storms, reefs, fogs and the unexpected, anything is possible on a liquid surface.
Alan Breck Stewart, with a sack of money is wanted by the Crown as a Scottish rebel, the only survivor of a shipwreck off the coast of Britain, caused by the less than honorable captain, picked up in a thick fog. Nevertheless, greed wins out and the crew desires the valuable coins, killing a man doesn't bother them. Mr. David, is appalled, helps the fugitive escape and he too, later in the best section of the classic novel...
A long grueling crossing , the highlands of Scotland, trying to avoid capture by the Red Coats and the hangman's rope, a murder has just occurred. And Alan blamed...Such splendid adventures follow, as the two new friends flee on the rugged terrain of the north country's hills, valleys, rivers and bays, always moving, never resting, hiding in woods, the tall grass, on top of rocks, in caves, anywhere available, getting assistance from loyal relatives of Alan and his clan. A wonderful book for the young at heart, indubitably.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kidnapped.

Finished Reading
August 18, 2011 – Shelved
April 1, 2018 – Started Reading
April 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya I remember this book. I liked it.

message 2: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Did you enjoyed it?

Henry Avila I liked it very much, my second read.

message 4: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Henry wrote: "I liked it very much, my second read."

I am going to have to read it again.

message 5: by David (new)

David Sarkies I'm going to have to do that as well.

message 6: by Henry (last edited Apr 09, 2018 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Henry Avila Mya wrote: "Henry wrote: "I liked it very much, my second read."

I am going to have to read it again."

Henry Avila David wrote: "I'm going to have to do that as well."

I think you will enjoy it, David.

message 8: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya David wrote: "I'm going to have to do that as well."

I know right, I can't remember it as well as I should be doing.

message 9: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Henry wrote: "Mya wrote: "Henry wrote: "I liked it very much, my second read."

I am going to have to read it again."
Read the sequel also , David Balfour, originally called Catriona, not as good , as few are."

Thank you for that suggestion. I am about to check it out now.

Henry Avila Still a fun read the sequel, wanted to know what happens to David.

message 11: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Henry wrote: "Still a fun read the sequel, wanted to know what happens to David."

I agree. Thank you Henry!!

Henry Avila You are very welcome.

[Shai] Bibliophage I would love to read this wonderful classic also. Thanks to you review because I'm persuaded that I must really check it out.

message 14: by Dolors (new)

Dolors You're whetting my appetite to go back to classics, Henry...

Henry Avila [Shai] The Bibliophage wrote: "I would love to read this wonderful classic also. Thanks to you review because I'm persuaded that I must really check it out."
I beleve you will enjoy the ride, I did.

Henry Avila Dolors wrote: "You're whetting my appetite to go back to classics, Henry..."
I always avoid temptation...until I can't.

message 17: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara I've always been curious about this book, and your excellent summary definitely makes it sound appealing. I'll have to get around to finally reading it soon :)

Henry Avila It is a very fine novel. Probably the writer's best, and I've read four so far.

Ellie Your review made me smile Henry and brought back happy memories of the book. Although I think I almost enjoyed your review more than the book itself! Such a quick but exciting run down of the plot. Thank you.

Henry Avila I thank you too, this was a pure fun read.

message 21: by Tara (last edited May 15, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Henry wrote: "It is a very fine novel. Probably the writer's best, and I've read four so far."

This certainly was a wonderful novel, Henry, thanks again for reminding me of its existence. Not my favorite of his, but I’m very glad I read it!

Henry Avila As always you are welcome my friend.