Stacy Bennett's Reviews > The Immorality Clause

The Immorality Clause by Brian Parker

May 13, 2017

Bladerunner in the Red Light District.

This title is a bit outside my usual fare. I'm not a huge fan of noir or crime novels but it looked intriguing. Unfortunately, it turned out not to be my cup of tea. (I rated it as if it was the kind of book I would like, personal prejudices aside.)

It was a cliche in a slightly over the top kind of way. And though, that is not to my taste I'm sure many would love it. It was very tactfully written for the subject matter, neither too gory nor too timid. It was moderately well paced but I felt, at times, the clues didn't quite follow and coincidences were too pat. Otherwise, it was enjoyable.

As for the narration, it was the bright spot in this book for me. Mr. Pena sounds just like you'd expect a rough around the edges cop to sound. A likable jerk. He did a good job with the acting, this being entirely from the 1st person perspective which is a tough job. And though he did a wonderful job altering his voice to perform the voices of the robots and other characters, i felt that at times the story let him down.

If you like noir crime, I predict you will really enjoy this book. For those of us who don't, you may want to pass.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immorality Clause.

May 7, 2017 – Started Reading