Sheherazahde's Reviews > Small Gods

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Aug 18, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, religion
Read in August, 2011

I am a Pratchett Fanatic. I buy all his books. This one is near the top of my list of favorite Pratchett books. I recommend it to everyone.[return][return]I describe it as The Catholic Church meets the Golden Age of Greece. The Catholic Church is represented by the Omnian Religion, Brutha, and the Great God Om (in the shape of a turtle). The Omnians believe that the Great God Om is the only True God and that the world is a sphere. The problem is that they are wrong on both points. There in fact lots of gods and their world is a flat disk on the back of four elephants on the back of a turtle. [return][return]Golden Age of Greece is represented by Ephebe . The Ephebians recognize many gods and have a lot of philosophers running around the streets looking for towels. [return][return]"Chain letters," said the Tyrant. "The Chain Letter to the Ephebians. Forget Your Gods. Be Subjugated. Learn to Fear. Do not break the chain -- the last people who did woke up one morning to find fifty thousand armed men on their lawn."[return][return]"That's why it's always worth having a few philosophers around the place. One minute it's all Is Truth Beauty and Is Beauty Truth, and Does A Falling Tree in the Forest Make A Sound if There's No one There to Hear It, and then just when you think they're going to start dribbling one of 'em says, Incidentally, putting a thirty-foot parabolic reflector on a high place to shoot the rays of the sun at an enemy's ships would be a very interesting demonstration of optical principles."[return][return]It is a wonderful book that has a lot to say about organized religion and gods. And most of it is true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Gods.

Quotes Sheherazahde Liked

Terry Pratchett
“His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink.”

Terry Pratchett
“He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.”

Terry Pratchett
“What's a philosopher?' said Brutha.
Someone who's bright enough to find a job with no heavy lifting,' said a voice in his head.”

Terry Pratchett
“Take it from me, whenever you see a bunch of buggers puttering around talking about truth and beauty and the best way of attacking Ethics, you can bet your sandals it's all because dozens of other poor buggers are doing all the real work around the place.”