tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

liked it
bookshelves: body

In 1989 I worked for a medical lab in BalTimOre in the electrical engineering department. I've written about some aspects of this in a RATicle called "Chemical & Biological Warfare Research at what was formerly known as Maryland Medical" in the 4th issue of a magazine called "Street Rat Bag". In this environment I had exposure to info that made me realize more vividly than I had already how vulnerable society-at-large is to possible lab disasters.

"The Hot Zone" addresses a situation that came close - the possibility of an outbreak of the deadly ebola virus caused by moving infected monkeys from Africa to a facility in Reston, Virginia. What even the authors of this bk don't know is that that particular facility is rumored to have been casually burglarized around that time by someone out of curiousity w/o ever getting caught. The eco-disaster was even closer to happening than they realized. This is a sensational(ist) bk but it's also an even more dire threat than many people realize. & these threats are in an urban environment nearer YOU than you may realize.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hot Zone.

Finished Reading