Karen Adkins's Reviews > Unwanted Advances: Sexual Paranoia Comes to Campus

Unwanted Advances by Laura Kipnis

it was ok

I want to be clear that, as a feminist, I do think there's a case to be made for reform and revision of Title IX law. There are many ways in which the process in unfair to both victims and the accused; the fact that the 2011 "Dear Colleague" letter provides incoherent and vague guidelines means that too many colleagues take the lowest-common denominator approach to sexual violence (with the only goal of avoiding bad headlines and investigation from the DOE). And in her final substantive chapter, Kipnis does get to a more thoughtful discussion of the underlying issues that has at least some value. But not enough, frankly, to justify the rest of the book, which is just absurdly myopically focused on a view of college-aged women I simply don't recognize (as someone who also teaches college women). Kipnis is so reflexively suspicious and cynical about women who make sexual assault accusations that even some of her better points end up less credible as a result--she looks for often absurd reasons to undermine the credibility of women who claim assault, and seems equally ready to believe absurd reasons of the accused. There are good books out there about campus rape in the Title IX era--Jon Krakauer's *Missoula* does a good job, I think of demonstrating the inconsistencies and unfairnesses within the procedure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwanted Advances.

Started Reading