Carol's Reviews > The End We Start From

The End We Start From by Megan  Hunter

liked it
bookshelves: published-2017, novella, kindle, netgalley, read-2017, sci-fi-dystopia

After digesting for a couple days, am still not quite sure how I feel about this short dystopian read. Initially confused...I wanted more. The story is vague with much left unsaid, but fear of the unknown is there.

In the beginning...or is it the end...an expectant mother's water breaks and a child called Z is born. (No names here...only single capital letters for characters.) In a desolate new...or is it old...world, water is flooding the country, and struggle for survival is apparent. A search for food...family members go missing. A search for shelter...more family disappear. Baby Z and mother give each other comfort.

New friends are made...then left behind. The search is on for the missing...to reconnect.

What really happened...we don't know...can only imagine.

It's THE END WE START FROM. Frightening is the strange new world.

Unique narration. Wish I could rate this one 3.5 Stars...bc I'm still not sure.

Thank you NetGalley and Grove Atlantic for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End We Start From.

May 13, 2017 – Shelved
June 17, 2017 –
June 19, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 19, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi-dystopia
June 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Angela M Sorry it was a miss for you , Carol. I'll still give it a try .

Marialyce I felt the same way Carol. It was different for sure. Great review of it.

Carol Angela M wrote: "Sorry it was a miss for you , Carol. I'll still give it a try ."

Oh yeah, I definitely recommend reading it. I read some community reviews last night Angela and found Megan Hunter writes poetry so the style of writing for this one is beginning to make more sense. Hope you enjoy it!

Carol Marialyce wrote: "I felt the same way Carol. It was different for sure. Great review of it."

Thanks Marialyce! Your review explained it so well!

Cheri Terrific review, Carol, it was very uneven for me. There were lovely parts and some less than lovely, as far as the writing goes. As far as the story goes, I wasn't "wowed," but I enjoyed parts of it.

Carol Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, Carol, it was very uneven for me. There were lovely parts and some less than lovely, as far as the writing goes. As far as the story goes, I wasn't "wowed," but I enjoyed parts of it."

Thanks Cheri! Uneven is a good way to explain this one; I enjoyed parts of it too. :-)