Sasha's Reviews > All These Things I've Done

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Aug 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook, dystopian-postapocalyptic, young-adult, read-in-2011, 2011-publication
Read from October 21 to 25, 2011

All These Things I've Done is about a 16 year old girl named Anya, whose family is in the illegal business of chocolate making. This is the story of her life, what happens when someone poisons the chocolate her family makes, and the repercussions of her starting to fall in love with a boy, whose father is the assistant D.A.

This book, like Eve by Anna Carey, had everything that I was wanting in a dystopian society. And on top of that, the premise of the society is SO unique. Caffeine is illegal, chocolate is too, paper (and consequently, books) is difficult to get a hold of - what could go wrong with such creative ideas? The answer? So many things.

My gripes may come from the fact that I listened to this on audiobook and so obviously if I were to have read the book, I could have interpreted Anya different. But I didn't read the book - I listened to it and let me tell you what - I think Anya is really..rude. I think she's TOO blunt. Is she the product of her environment? (read: mafia family) Yeah, maybe - but still. I did not like her. She talked about her love for her siblings and though she does make a sacrifice at the end of the book for them, most of the time she talks to her older brother like he really is an idiot and is rude to her younger sister. I thought she was immature, paranoid, and just plain mean.

Then the plot dragged and dragged in the middle section of the book. There was no conflict and I wasn't scared or worried for Anya, especially considering how mean and cold-hearted she was. For a good section of the book, it was just her everyday life and it wasn't even exciting. Also, I swear, I think I would have smashed something if I had heard the word "birthright" one more time.

Needless to say, I was so sad that I didn't like this book because I went into it with really high hopes.

If you read this book, what did you think? Did you interpret Anya differently than I did from the audio?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All These Things I've Done.

10/21/2011 "ha! lasagna and brains."
10/23/2011
20.0% "listening to the audio. i like it."
10/23/2011
35.0% "ahh the statue of liberty!"
10/23/2011
55.0% "it's picking up. was slightly dragging for a little bit.."
10/24/2011
65.0% "and back to dragging.."
10/25/2011
82.0% "the pacing is weird. anya is slightly annoying/bitchy. sigh."

Kathryn CA These are my feeling as well. I really really hate Anya. And the narrator (also listening to it). And Win just doesn't do it for me. I don't really feel any connection or spark. I hate insta-love or insta-connection and that was basically the whole premise of their relationship. I wanted to love it. Perhaps that is why I dislike it so much.