Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > A Crisis of Faith

A Crisis of Faith by Tony Sunderland

28206267

bookshelves: soul-help-soup

I get the impression that it’s mostly non-Christians who read stuff about the origins of Christianity and the Gnostic texts; which is a bit odd really, because if you want to know more about your beloved Christ, reading the gospels of Judas and Mary etc. will give you a much better idea of what Jesus’ teachings actually were. It’s like saying you’re a massive fan of the Rolling Stones, but you’ve only ever listened to the Greatest Hits and have never heard albums like Sticky Fingers. But I guess most Christians don’t read things like the Nag Hammadi texts and the Dead Sea Scrolls simply because they weren’t included in the Bible (and they bizarrely think the Bible is the actual word of God) which is pretty crazy when we know it was the Council of Nicea and the later Church who decided how to edit the Bible – and from the vast amount of contradictions included in the text, they really could have done with a better proofreader.

Anyway, I digress. I’m not a Christian man myself, but I am spiritual and I’ve always been fascinated by religions/their origins, and more importantly: the gods and spiritual beliefs that came long before the more popular ones like ol’ J.C, such as Osiris and Mithras (both of whom most certainly inspired many of the things we attribute to Christ, but I digress even further).

So, I very much enjoyed reading Tony Sunderland’s book which focuses on the Gnostic beliefs. To be honest, I knew much of what was on offer, but it was still enjoyable to go over such things again; and if you’re new to reading about Gnosticism and the origins of Christianity and the Holy Bible, then you could do much worse than reading this very informative and extremely well written book.

Sunderland has a way of writing that makes possibly complicated things easy to understand, whilst still keeping it within the realms of well-researched academia, where it’s clear that Sunderland has studied this stuff long and hard and knows what he’s talking about. So if you want to learn about Gnosticism, then you should definitely check out this great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crisis of Faith.

May 13, 2017 – Shelved
July 19, 2017 –
page 140
August 14, 2017 – Shelved as: soul-help-soup
August 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Dee (last edited Aug 20, 2017 07:53AM) (new)

Dee Arr Harry Whitewolf wrote: "It’s like saying you’re a massive fan of the Rolling Stones, but you’ve only ever listened to the Greatest Hits and have never heard albums like Sticky Fingers."

Have to say, this is a great analogy and right on target. Many people only read what supports their beliefs, and neglect the opportunities to stretch a bit.

Harry Whitewolf Thanks Dee.

"Many people only read what supports their beliefs, and neglect the opportunities to stretch a bit."

- Yes indeed!

message 3: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila Looking fwd to reading this book.

Harry Whitewolf Leila wrote: "Looking fwd to reading this book."

It's a goodun. Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for reading my review. :)