Andrea's Reviews > Close Your Eyes

Aug 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club
Read from August 18 to 24, 2011

Ugh. I did not like this at all.

It was so short, it could almost qualify as a short story. While I have no problems with short stories, I do have a problem when I pay for something that is considered a novel, and is not. But, I am not even considering this in my review. That was just a bit of an annoyance.

The writing was juvenile. The conversations were very unnatural. If the author would have read these aloud, she probably would have noticed.

The scenes with the therapist were terribly unrealistic. I've had my fare share of experience with therapists, and this did not ring true at all. I know everyone's experience will be different, but no, not even remotely buying it.

I don't know if it's because I live in Austin, but the way the author used the city was just done so heavy-handedly. I still liked hearing about my local haunts, but you can get more creative than that.

Audiobook version comment - very mediocre narrators. But, then again, it was a mediocre book.

I feel like I could just ramble on with stuff I don't like, so I'm just going to stop now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Your Eyes.

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Thornhill I agree with your review completely; I couldn't get halfway through it. All I could think was yeah, I get it, you're from Austin. Very disappointing.