Lisa's Reviews > Someone

Someone by Alice McDermott

May 17, 2017

bookshelves: fiction, botm-reads, botm-suggestions

You always read something good in a book club.

This was the BOTM for my library book club, and I have to admit, it took me a little while to like this one. I liked how the librarian leading the discussion put it: this is a quiet story. It's extremely character-driven, and there isn't much of a plot. It's also not a linear story; instead, it moves back and forth between one point of time and another. We go from seeing Marie as a 7-year-old, to seeing her as an adult and pregnant, and then go back to seeing her as a teenager. The whole novel has the feeling of someone simply reflecting back on her past, rather than someone who has a plot with a goal in mind.

It was the club discussion that really revealed the depth of this novel for me, and I left the library liking the novel more than I did when the meeting was due to start. There's a theme to this novel that I completely missed while I was reading it, and the discussion kept coming around to it.

Here's the theme, you ready?

There's someone for everyone.

Makes sense, right? The title is "Someone", the people in the book are frequently looking for someone to love or relate to, and there's always someone kind helping out. I really liked how many points in the story frequently tied in to the title, and that's why I bring my rating up from 3.5 to 4 stars.

This book is not for everyone. I can see how someone could find this novel boring or slow, but if you like quiet, character-driven stories, then you should give this book a try. It's worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone.

May 13, 2017 – Started Reading