Lisa's Reviews > Cybele's Secret

Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

May 21, 2017

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, romance

★★★ and 1/2

This was definitely a young adult kind of novel. The plot, the love triangle, the strange quest.... It's got young adult written all over it.

I did enjoy the story. Quite a bit actually. But I still had a few problems with the tale.

First, the quest itself seemed a little strange and prolonged. I know it was supposed to be a lesson of sorts, but it still seemed a little odd in my eyes.

Second, the plot was pretty predictable. I knew who the villain was instantly, and I knew who was going to fall in love and live happily ever after. It was a very easy plot.

Third, and most of all.... I. Hate. Love triangles. Especially in young adult novels. There's too much miscommunication and jumping to conclusions. Being in a happy and loving relationship myself, I can't help but cringe whenever I read about lovers who don't actually talk to each other.

Beyond those issues, I still had fun with the story. I didn't realize it was a sequel until it was too late, but that didn't make it confusing in the least. It's a light enjoyable read, worth a look if you like novels by Marillier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cybele's Secret.

May 13, 2017 – Started Reading