C.G. Drews's Reviews > On the Spectrum

On the Spectrum by Jennifer Gold

bookshelves: autism, contemporary, read-2017, young-adult

I'm cleaning out old reviews so this is a bit of an edited one...and I wanted to say this book really stuck with me because I think about it still (3 years later) and I'm glad about the mental illness rep with Clara's eating disorder and I still love the family values and the Parisian setting/food. (There was a lot of "forcing" Clara to be "better" through making her eat, and I found that problematic and uncomfortable and I can't remember if it was better addressed that just telling someone to get over their anxiety is wrong.

The only thing I want to leave in from my old review is my thoughts on the autism rep (from an autistic reviewer) ➸ The autism rep is really accurate and Alistair reminded me a lot of my same-aged-at-the-time nephew, plus it talked about sensory overload, the difficulties with understanding language intricacies, and the feeling of isolation. Just am so pleased to read a book that went further than the stereotypes. However it's problematic/hurtful how they wouldn't call Alistair autistic. They refused the term. It was a "bad word". Autism isn't bad, and you can't be "a little bit autistic" like this book says. The spectrum isn't a linear thing. You aren't just deposited on the top or bottom of a "line" scale. You can be advanced in some areas and behind on others. But the point is: don't diminish autism or autistics or disabilities. They are not shameful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Spectrum.

May 13, 2017 – Shelved