Julie Decker's Reviews > Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000

Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turb... by Dav Pilkey

liked it

This more-convoluted-than-usual volume in the Captain Underpants series will entertain people who enjoyed the previous ones. It has the flip-book fights and the silly words, the surprisingly advanced vocabulary and the illustrations on every page (making it a good segue for kids from picture books into chapter books). And it has Harold and George having to contend with doubles of themselves created by time travel, as well as caring for and feeding three hamsterdactyls and going through a ton of nonsense to support Captain Underpants in fighting the Turbo Toilet.

Unfortunately there was some kinda insensitive language about mental illness here (and I don't just mean calling stuff "crazy"--I mean one of the story's punchlines was derived from traumatizing someone to the point that he was institutionalized, and humorously calling the institution "the goof house"), and I'm also not a fan of the plot point where all the teachers take their clothes off and have a weird mosh pit because apparently that is what these people collectively do in their dreams.

The absurdity reigns here and it's funny, though I think the series was a little better earlier on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000.

May 12, 2017 – Shelved