Pouting Always's Reviews > The Underground Railroad

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

Cora is a slave on a plantation in Georgia where conditions are especially rough because of the cotton industry. When she was younger her mother left her alone on the plantation and escaped, leaving Cora to fend for herself. Cora eventually becomes an outcast but when a new slave arrives on the plantation, Caesar, he approaches her and asks her to run away from him. The two set out to evade the bounty hunters and restart their lives this time as free people. I really enjoyed a lot of things about this book, especially the writing and Cora. There were just a few things that kept me from feeling like it was amazing though. First the whole thing about the railroad being an actual underground railroad felt unnecessary, maybe I'm just not smart enough to pick up whatever allusion was being made. It kind of made me confused for a second and I started doubting my whole life because I went wait I thought the underground railroad was a metaphor and I had to double check to make sure I wasn't missing something. Also I really didn't care very much about a lot of the back stories especially the one for the bounty hunter, the whole time I kept wishing he would just go away and die already but maybe that was the point, I don't think he's meant to be likable. The last thing was (view spoiler). None of those things were really big enough to take away from the over all enjoyment of the book though. It was really well written and talks about topics that are pretty hard to stomach but these are things we should acknowledge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Underground Railroad.

May 12, 2017 – Started Reading
May 12, 2017 – Shelved
May 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Latanya (Crafty Scribbles) The UG was both metaphorical and literal, as there were stations, conductors and passageways one traveled to attain freedom.

Pouting Always Latanya wrote: "The UG was both metaphorical and literal, as there were stations, conductors and passageways one traveled to attain freedom."

I know that it was metaphorical with safe spots and secret routes but I checked and it wasn't a literal underground railroad ha ha i knew it wasnt but for a second there I just was unsure thanks for clarifying though

Latanya (Crafty Scribbles) Pouting wrote: "Latanya wrote: "The UG was both metaphorical and literal, as there were stations, conductors and passageways one traveled to attain freedom."

I know that it was metaphorical with safe spots and se..."

No worries.

message 4: by Ølïvïå (new)

Ølïvïå hi pouting always

Pouting Always Livvie wrote: "hi pouting always"

Hey