C.G. Drews's Reviews > When I Am Through with You

When I Am Through with You by Stephanie Kuehn

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2017, thriller-crime, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

This books is so freaking messed up and also basically a list of 101 Reasons Why You Should Never Go Camping. Don't go outside, kids. It's dangerous and everything goes wrong. BUT DID I MENTION THIS BOOK WAS MESSED UP. Fantastic. I'm a mess just...just leave me...

+ Now I really really like Stephanie Kuehn's books!
My favourite is Charm & Strange but I also liked The Smaller Evil. She honestly writes YA thrillers SO FREAKING WELL and her writing is A+. They're super complex and really delve into like psychology and how we think and the characters are SO REAL because of this. But the same time lol @ my smol brain it gets so lost. I'm not even really sure I understood Ben or his relationship with Rose. Like he was pathetic and she was horrible and somehow she was trying to make him less pathetic by being more horrible???? I'm sure many human brains will grasp this but I got a little befuddled.

+ Also do I mention we should not go outside.
Ever.
Camping trips are just not worth it ok, mate. Look one time I went camping with my family and undid my sister's camp bunk so that she fell right through and it was hilarious and also I was nearly strangled by her. BUT THAT'S CUTE COMPARED TO THIS BOOK. Duuuuude, please do not put a bunch of kids on heavy medication + a gun = on a camping trip with ONE teacher. I mean, is anyone surprised it ended in death? I am not surprised.

+ I did like Ben, mostly for his complexity.
Everyone is awful though???? All their decisions suck??? But at the same time, they're actual pretty human. ALTHOUGH, in the face of death, I don't think they were freaked out enough. (view spoiler) Also Ben was pretty heckin' unstable. Which makes for an unreliable book about unreliable circumstances and excuse me while I'm glued to the page.

+ It also heavily features mental health and disability!
Ben is definitely depressed/anxious, and has these super bad migraines that literally render him unable to do anything. Why is he camping then. It's a question we all ask.

+ NO, REALLY, I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN.
But it was so so messed up. It's basically kids going on a hike (for school credit?) but it goes SO BADLY because all the kids are super messed up already and then they stumble on some people who are possibly escaped convicts with lots of money. It's best to go in blind though, so just read it. It's also VERY GRITTY AND GRUESOME which I appreciate because I like it when books actually give the gritty details. But be prepared for blood and catastrophe.

ALL IN ALL? Look it's...strange. Because I was totally unable to put it down BUT by the end I have no idea what the point really was. I don't understand if Ben really changed or not. Like what was his arc? I think I personally may be missing things??? But it's a complex story full of psychology and exploration of what being wanted truly means. It's not a comfy book and you're not supposed to love the characters. But it's thrilling, addictive, cold, cruel, and full of terrible things. SO impressed with books that make me think.

AND IT REMINDS ME HOW INSANE AMERICA IS WITH ALL THOSE GUNS. HOLY WOW, PEOPLES. JUST DO NOT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Am Through with You.

May 12, 2017 – Shelved
May 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 6, 2017 – Started Reading
October 6, 2017 –
page 10
3.42% "Typical YA Book: this is the story of first love and tragedy.
This Book: so you're wondering if I kILLED MY GIRLFRIEND I GUESS."
October 7, 2017 –
page 190
65.07% "THIS BOOK IS SO ROYALLY MESSED UP."
October 7, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary