Chris's Reviews > Book Burning

Book Burning by Cal Thomas

Aug 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: freedom-of-speech, work

I didn't know who Cal Thomas was before reading this book. Anyway, while I find myself agreeing with some of what Thomas says, not only is some of it dated, some his points need more detail.

Thomas has a point, even today about about how reilgion, in particular Christianity, is treated/protrayed/argued aganist. I mean, no offense, but holiday tree? C'mon, every one knows what it is really is. How come a Memorah is okay in public display, but a creche isn't? These aren't questions that Thomas askes, his book was written in 1983, but they might have well have been. Thomas additionally talks about how Christianity is talked about in the news, and in some ways, some of his points are still valid today. In fact, I find it hard to think of a character on main stream television who does seem to pratice religion, outside of a guitly priest or second thinking nun.

Wait, there is that really good one with Meryl Streep.

However, the discussion about textbooks in Texas is very dated. Also, he quotes interviews that his assisstant did, not himself. He also has not read Milton very closely. But I really wish he had given more concerte examples of what he was talking about. And the tone of the writing is really condescending.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book Burning.

August 18, 2011 – Started Reading