Kevin Indrebo's Reviews > The Obelisk Gate

The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin

M 50x66
May 12, 2017

Another solid installment in the Broken Earth series. I didn't like it quite as much as the first, but it was still one of my better reads lately.

My favorite aspect of this series is the worldbuilding. As an avid fantasy reader and a (bad, unpublished) fantasy writer, I think one of the weaknesses of the genre is our tendency to build worlds that are too similar to ours. We're fantasy writers! We can do what we want!*

*As long as it works

Regarding the worldbuilding, in the first book, I gravitated most toward the powers the MC possessed, and the nature of the world itself, how difficult it was to survive, how different it was from ours. In this, though, I found myself fascinated by the stone eaters, a truly original type of "other" creature.

My main complaint (and why I didn't rate this 5 stars), is that the plot seemed to drag from Essun's perspective, at least through the first two thirds of the book. There was a lot of concern about little day-to-day details, things that I didn't find important in the overarching plot. Also Essun's lack of progress in learning/progressing slowed it down for me.

Overall, a gripping read, and I look forward to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obelisk Gate.

Finished Reading