Andi Ruggles (Rywn)'s Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

F 50x66
Aug 18, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed

Lena lives in a world where love is cured. In those under 18 where ‘cur­ing’ love often results in com­pli­ca­tion or death, lov­ing is treated as a crime by the gov­ern­ment, and sick­ens and hor­ri­fies the cit­i­zens around them. Known as the dis­ease deliria, a reader is really forced to see just how much of our pas­sion for life comes from love or its’ asso­ci­ated symp­toms. Not just roman­tic love, but fam­ily love, love of oth­ers such as pets, is gone as well. The arts, which are so com­monly born from either being in love or the lack of it, is equally frowned upon. Lena has grown up in a world with­out fairy tales or poetry, with even the music they lis­ten to con­trolled as well. Those who have been ‘cured’ gen­uinely believe that they are hap­pier for hav­ing had the cure, even if they loved before­hand, and it is hor­ri­fy­ing to see just how life­less their lives become.

Delir­ium how­ever, is really about Lena dis­cov­er­ing love and how much it changes a per­son. Hav­ing grown up fear­ing love, Delir­ium is won­der­fully well writ­ten with Lena not just cau­tious, but gen­uinely afraid of get­ting the ‘dis­ease’ even after she begins to care for Alex. Lena’s char­ac­ter, as well as that of her best friend Hana’s, and Alex are all so well-rounded and inter­est­ing, that it is hard not to love them. While read­ing delir­ium there were moments when my heart broke, and moments when I cheered.

One thing that is won­der­ful in Delir­ium is that it isn’t just the ‘love inter­est’ that causes the char­ac­ter to change, which has been all too often the only cause in dystopian nov­els as of late. Before Alex even comes into the pic­ture, Hana is already chal­leng­ing Lena to take a look at the world around her, and real­ize that their soci­ety isn’t per­fect. When Alex enters the pic­ture, he does become the dri­ving force for the rest of the novel, but he is never the only thing caus­ing her to change.

As the first of three nov­els, I am def­i­nitely eagerly antic­i­pat­ing the next novel. The end­ing of Delir­ium made me want MORE MORE, and I just had to know what came next as soon as pos­si­ble. Hav­ing read the spe­cial edi­tion of Delir­ium, I got a sneak peek of book 2, Pandemonium that only con­firmed those thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

August 18, 2011 – Shelved
August 24, 2011 – Started Reading
August 24, 2011 –
August 25, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 26, 2011 –
100.0% "Oooh, I can't wait to review this. Delirium opens your mind to all the things that would be different without love."