Dianne Ascroft's Reviews > Sapphire Pavilion

Sapphire Pavilion by David E. Grogan

May 12, 2017

Read 3 times. Last read April 2017.

I really enjoyed this story and was engrossed in it from the first page. The intricate, fascinating plot deftly uses ‘what if’ to look back at a mission that might have happened during the Vietnam War era and convincingly creates the story from this imaginary incident. There’s great use of believable coincidence involving a character employed in the Foreign Affairs office to tie some ends together, allowing the story to continue to its conclusion without bureaucracy derailing the momentum. I was also intrigued by one thread of the story that is wrapped up near the end of the book in a way that the main character, Steve Stilwell, is not aware of. The reader knows that it is resolved but the main character does not.

I really liked the main characters in this story and look forward to reading future books in the series. I also intend to go back and read the first book, The Siegel Dispositions, as I enjoyed this book so much. Each of the trio of characters involved in the investigation is distinctive and is someone the reader can empathise with. Steve Stilwell is a hardworking lawyer who must find a way to balance his career and his family life. His new legal associate, Casey, is an independent, likeable woman with an unusual background. And even though Stilwell’s secretary, Margaret, takes a backseat most of the time, the character is a notable presence in the law office and the reader has a sense of her personality.

The settings are very vivid and I felt the heat and chaos in Ho Chi Minh City, and soaked up the bureaucratic atmosphere of Washington, D.C. and the small town aura of Texas and Virginia. As well as the physical settings in this story, there is also a less tangible one: the military environment. The camaraderie, as well as the work and life ethos of the US military world, is well portrayed and gives the reader an insight into what this way of life is like.

This is a fast-paced mystery and thriller gripped me from the beginning. I enjoyed every moment of it and look forward to reading more from this author. I recommend it to readers who enjoy mysteries and thrillers, as well as anyone who enjoys a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sapphire Pavilion.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
Finished Reading
April, 2017 – Started Reading
April, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 12, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
May 12, 2017 – Shelved