Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > Roses of May

Roses of May by Dot Hutchison

bookshelves: 2017, dnf

What a bummer. I really loved The Butterfly Garden last year and when I saw this, I was super excited to give it a read, but no. I read 100 pages of this book, which is a whole third of the story and nothing grabbed me. Nothing. Did anything even happen in those first 100 pages?

Warning, that you’ll see on lots of others reviews… this isn’t a sequel. This is a totally new book, with a new crime, it just has some of the same characters. This could be the second in a series of Inara & Bliss & Eddison, or whatever, but don’t call it a sequel when that’s not what it is.

This felt really YA to me, but I’m not seeing anywhere that anyone else is classing it like that. For me, this read really immaturely and the constant use of random swear words only added to that. It felt as though Hutchison added them in as a way to make the book feel more adult, but for me, it did the opposite of that.

Eddisons relationship with Priya??? One, it felt totally inappropriate, even though there was nothing like that going on. They thought and spoke about each other really fondly, but not in a family kind of way, in a different way, and it made me feel icky to read. And two, it was totally unbelievable. As if an FBI agent (and his team) would have time to send cards and texts to a girl from one of their cases… over years and years. ALSO, why did Priya get special treatment? I’m sure the serial killer went round and killed other girls with sisters, what made Priya so special as to garner all this attention from a grown-ass FBI agent? It was weird and it made me feel uncomfortable the entire way through.

Plus, I find it really hard to believe that if a 17 year old went missing for 3 hours and you called the police, they would bring out patrol cars and lots of officers… that’s not how it works at all. At that age, it’s 24 hours they wait, normally, sometimes shorter if it’s a strange circumstance, but never 3 hours. That’s reserved for young children.

Also, the need to make this book as open and accepting as possible got a little bit frustrating. I love that this book had diverse main characters, but there was something about the emphasis on this diversity that just screamed “look, I’m a diverse book!!!!!” Plus, the bit where the mum sits down to play a Lego game on the Xbox made me wince in secondhand embarrassment.

Now, I don’t want to sound like a total downer and hater of this book, because I’m not. Hutchison is amazing at writing, her descriptive skills are out of this world and she really knows how to capture feelings with words but for me, the story sucked and I couldn’t get on with it at all.

Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review. Sorry I wasn’t a fan!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roses of May.

May 12, 2017 – Started Reading
May 12, 2017 – Shelved
May 12, 2017 –
14.0% "Umm, I'm not sure how I feel right now. I guess I forgot this series was so YA"
page 48
15.89% "I am instantly not getting good vibes off of this book. It reads so immaturely"
page 71