Lee's Reviews > When Will There Be Good News?

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson

May 20, 2017

bookshelves: detective, character-studies

This book introduces a character I like even more than Jackson Brodie: Reggie, a smart, loyal, and resourceful 16-year-old girl strives to do the right thing while dealing with the worst circumstances.

This novel, like the earlier two in the series, is far from perfect. Sometimes there are just too many details and too many characters, sometimes there's not enough detail about the characters who drive the plot. Not every thread is wrapped up or resolved -- you can only hope things are resolved in the next JB novel (which I will read as soon as I can download it from the library) or, hopefully, the one after that. (These really are not standalone books -- you'll get very lost if you don't read them in order.)

I love the humor of the characters. I love learning more about the characters -- even the ones that are, really, unnecessary to the plot, such as Louise (she was introduced in JB2, and was unnecessary there, too) other than getting Jackson out of a sticky spot or two.

The story revolves around a 30-year-old massacre of a family leaving one survivor, a killer, a train wreck, an orphan, and fierce loyalty to loved ones. There are very sad events, some brutal events, and plenty of humor and hope. It left me wanting to know what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Will There Be Good News?.

May 11, 2017 – Started Reading