Jessica ☕'s Reviews > Wild Hunger

Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill

bookshelves: arc, sci-fi-fantasy-horror

If you ever intend on reading the author's Chicagoland Vampire series, you'd better do it first, because even the blurb on the back of this book is going to totally spoil an entire series for you. That being said --

Wild Hunger is an exciting ride that captures the energy and enthusiasm of the early Chicagoland Vampire books, despite a rushed beginning.

At the end of the Chicagoland Vampire series, readers are left with quite a bombshell: Merit, a vampire, is pregnant, and vampires don't get pregnant. I would've loved a more deeper explanation of the circumstances surrounding her pregnancy and Elisa's birth, but aside from that, the rest of the story was an exciting beginning to a new series.

Elisa is likable, and despite needing to be rescued by the romantic interest a few times, also does some rescuing of her own. When one of her friends is framed for a horrific murder during an international vampire peace summit, she and her friends set out to find the true killer, opening up a Pandora's box of diplomatic power struggles and making unexpected enemies in the process.

Recommended for readers of the Chicagoland Vampire series, even those whose interest waned early in the series, and even those who disliked the way the series ended.

Unrelated: if I were to compare this book to food, it is a warm bag of cheesy caramelcorn. Proceed accordingly.

Unrelated 2: I'm still holding out for at least one White Sox fan in this series... White Sox just can't get any love, even in fiction.

arc provided by Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Hunger.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Felicity (new) - added it

Felicity I agree! It really irritates me when I see reviews for books that aren't even released yet.

message 2: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Jordan I agree!

message 3: by Levia (new) - added it

Levia To play devil's advocate, I've read some authors state that their publishers are starting to pay attention to prereviews and those who add the books to digital to read lists before publication. It absolutely can be frustrating to know which is a real review, but it also seems to be a site error. So maybe send a note to GoodReads tech support about changing it.

message 4: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara DeShazer (Kidd) Also, sometimes people get advance copies of the book.

Jessica ☕ True, plenty of folks get arcs, myself included. But the author hadn't even finished writing it when all of these starred reviews began popping up.

message 6: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Williams Thank you!!!

Kris Dickinson You got an ARC of this? Youre SO lucky!! Im jealous :)

message 8: by ANGELA (new) - added it

ANGELA HENRY this book is boring as fuck

message 9: by Jenncw (new) - added it

Jenncw I love that you compared it to food, as there is sooo much food in the Chicagoland Vampires. These books always make me hungry, and now your review does, too.