Milliebot's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

This is an excellent mix of memoir and writing advice (I mean, the title basically says that, but whatever, I'm just reinforcing that, ok?) I enjoyed the writing segments more, though snippets from King's childhood and life were still interesting to me. There's even a chapter at the end about his accident, which occurred when this book was partly finished (which I didn't recall - I have read this book but it was years and years ago.) My copy is studded with colorful flags highlighting helpful tips and approaches to writing. I enjoy his sense of humor, relaxed tone and no bullshit attitude (as well as his occasional foul language).

Even if you're not interested in becoming a writer, if you're a fan of Stephen King's work, I think you'll enjoy his memories about his past and insight into how he crafts his books.

Confession time: This is the third copy of this book that I've been given. Long ago, my mum gave it to me whenI was in high school. I read it then and enjoyed it. Two years ago another friend gave me the 10th-anniversary edition and I meant to re-read it but, well, you all know how that goes (Sorry Mel!) and it ended up being packed away with some of our other non-fiction books when we moved. It remains packed. This past Christmas I was given the 10th-anniversary edition again! Now I've finally re-read it and marked passages that I know I'll be going back to over and over. I wonder if Mr. King would find it funny that I've received this book so many times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

May 10, 2017 – Shelved